Nice graphics don't pay
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Nice graphics don't pay

I ordered a nice reflective sticker to put on the front of my (what is this piece called - a headlight bezel??). Anyway, probably bad mojo as when I dumped my bike yesterday, it scarred this piece up pretty good. (The matching scratches on on leg and elbow will heal, but this won't). Sanding plastic doesn't seem like much of an option (is it?), so replacement of this part is probably in order. I'd guess that though this is from a '93, that this part is pretty universal, no? Maybe someone parting out a bike or who have switched to a round headlight has one of these for sale?

Also, this view shows where the mounting points which also hold on the turn signals was torqued to the left (note the gap over the speedometer vs that over the light indicators). Is bending it back into place the answer?

Finally, the '93 speedometer has no odometer. How tough it is to replace the speedometer with a newer model that has the odometer?

Windscreens are the same '87 to present, varying only by color.

Trip odometer came on '01 or newer, I believe.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Truelight, unless you are a purest or have lots of money, should you buy a replacement part, don't put it on. Enjoy your bike, and, as I suspect something like this will happen again. When you get ready to sell, then put on the 'nice' part to have the bike look a bit more presentable. I am not suggesting you mis-represent what the bike has been thru, just save your 'Sunday' clothes for church. Gerry
    Ben58 likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

jus as a side note, my 2000 has a trip meter.

Ouch! Thats one of those " i want to restart my day! " moments. There are a few bezels on ebay but wrong color, one blue, one black n red. Here is a speedo link , http://cgi.ebay.ca/94-yamaha-tw200-t...ts_Accessories. There is also one at PG here in B.C., but shipping would be crazy. I once found a offshore place that has new plastics for lots of motorcycles, if i can find it i will pass it along.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by wrench-puller View Post
    Ouch! Thats one of those " i want to restart my day! " moments. There are a few bezels on ebay but wrong color, one blue, one black n red. Here is a speedo link , http://cgi.ebay.ca/94-yamaha-tw200-t...ts_Accessories. There is also one at PG here in B.C., but shipping would be crazy. I once found a offshore place that has new plastics for lots of motorcycles, if i can find it i will pass it along.

The link you provided for the speedo was to one from a '94 which also has no trip meter. My speedo works, I was just thinking about upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    Truelight, unless you are a purest or have lots of money, should you buy a replacement part, don't put it on. Enjoy your bike, and, as I suspect something like this will happen again. When you get ready to sell, then put on the 'nice' part to have the bike look a bit more presentable. I am not suggesting you mis-represent what the bike has been thru, just save your 'Sunday' clothes for church. Gerry

Interesting way of looking at it. Perhaps I should figure that a trail bike should wear it's "war wounds" with honor, kind of like badges of courage and scars of honor. Your logic makes sense and I like the "Sunday clothes" analogy.

Oh yeah, I learned Yamaha calls this part a "cowling", not a bezel. Gotta get my parts terminology straight!

I'm with Mr. Gizmow on this one and leave it looking gnarly. If you wanted to, you could sand it down some and repaint it. Its just a battle scar. I don't wish it upon you, but it may happen again. You are correct, the piece is called a cowl, or headlight cowl, or even a number plate.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Truelight. If your not in a hurry, I'm sure something will pop up on ebay.

I hear what your saying Gerry, but for me, I like my stuff to be in good shape so I would probably replace it. I put a small dent in my gas tank when my knee hit it as I dumped over - it's a small dent, but it bugs me. That's just me though. On another forum for cruisers there was a discussion about who polishes their bike and who just rides it. There was quite a variety of opinions - and to my surprize there were guys who had never washed there bike in all the years they owned it! Each to his own.

Gotta do what feels right...The fact you dressed up the cowling with a neat sticker says something right there....
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Yeah, I'm not in a hurry on something cosmetic like this and so watching for an e-bay deal is a good idea. I -do- need to figure out what is rattling around in my muffler though.. either something broke loose or a piece of gravel got down in there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links