TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Carb problem, I think?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Danny 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Today I went to start up the T-Dub since it hasn't been run for about a month just to check on her and to my surprise....Houston we have a problem! Once I kicked it over with the choke on it started and the idle was super high so I immediately pushed the choke in to the second position which made the engine stall. Bike will not start with choke in second position or completely pushed in, only starts with choke on and immediately revs up too high when it kicks over? I pulled the carb off to clean the exterior and spayed carb cleaner into all openings and put it back on with same results. Is it time for a carb rebuild or do you think it just needs a good cleaning inside? Thought I would ask for some opinions before I dive in, maybe there is something else going on beyond the carb?....thank you in advance for any advice. I did see a great step by step manual someone posted on performing a rebuild/cleaning. Looks like the same carb I have too.

#3 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

If you just sprayed cleaner in the carb you'll be lucky if no plastic or rubber is damaged. Completely disassemble the carb before using carb cleaner or you'll likely be buying lots of expensive plastic and rubber parts.

A half-assed carb cleaning works about half assed often as it happens. Do it right the first time. Read and follow the instructions in the manual.

#5 ·
I don't think there is a "carb kit" for TWs, at least not one worth buying. Best bet is to systematically disassemble the carb, taking pictures at each step, and storing the parts in muffin tins in the order they come out. Once the carb is disassembled, clean and inspect one piece at a time. If there is wear or damage, add that part to your list to order. With a little luck the carb was assembled tight enough to prevent the cleaner you sprayed from ruining too many parts.

Many times disassembly and cleaning is all that is necessary, even on bikes that have been sitting for years--no parts needed. No sense buying $100 worth of parts you don't need. Might as well reset the pilot screw and raise the needle while you have the carb apart--every North American TW needs that done unless you love high up in the mountains.

#7 ·
I'm having the same problem as BB with my 2008, any chance I can put some kind of cleaner in the tank to safely clean the carb? The reason I ask is because the bike only has 800 miles on it and has never ever seen the dirt. It had about 300 miles on it when I bought it and ran the a top for 500 miles. I went to start it after about 3 months of sitting and found it doesn't want to stay running unless the choke is pulled out all the way.

ps. I noticed I had to much oil in it (stupid mistake) when I remove the air filter and found motor oil dripping from it. Of coarse the viewing window told me the same thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Danny

#8 ·

ps. I noticed I had to much oil in it (stupid mistake) when I remove the air filter and found motor oil dripping from it. Of coarse the viewing window told me the same thing.

Three months is plenty of time for old fuel to turn to sludge in your carb.

Smell that overflowing oil. There could be gas in the oil. If it is, don't run the engine.

If the carb float is stuck open (or a leaky o-ring), and the overflow tube is clogged, the gas will end up in the crankcase.

If the holes in the pilot jet are completely clogged, adding a cleaner (like Seafoam) to the tank won't help. For the cleaner to work there needs to be at least a minimal flow through the holes of the jet.

The answer is stated in the posts above... a thorough cleaning of the carb.

jb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.