Modify Case for access to front sprocket?
Close
    
    
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member darnold87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    908
    I was just curious if it would be possible to modify (cut / grind) the housing to allow easy access to the front sprocket. Most bikes have easy access and it makes it so much easier to inspect, clean, and change out the front sprocket. Just curious if anyone has considered this or tried it?



    Here's a pic showing where I was thinking the case could be cut / modified:



    ~Davey

    '89 TW200

    '94 Suzuki Sidekick

  2. #2
    Senior Member pgilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by darnold87 View Post
    I was just curious if it would be possible to modify (cut / grind) the housing to allow easy access to the front sprocket. Most bikes have easy access and it makes it so much easier to inspect, clean, and change out the front sprocket. Just curious if anyone has considered this or tried it?



    Here's a pic showing where I was thinking the case could be cut / modified:


    There is a bearing supported in the area you dotted. The bearing is lubricated with engine oil pumped through the drive shaft and out to the bearing, and the oil returns to the stator area via a port in the area you dotted. Cut out that area, lose oil, engine gets mad.
    Sold bike.



    Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Senior Member darnold87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    908
    I guess that answers it!



    I'll be openning this up soon to inspect the clutch and thought'd I'd consider the mod. I guess I won't need to think about that option any longer. Thanks for the clarification... I appreciate it.
    ~Davey

    '89 TW200

    '94 Suzuki Sidekick

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Banned qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW Tennessee
    Posts
    10,664
    Quote Originally Posted by darnold87 View Post
    I guess that answers it!



    I'll be openning this up soon to inspect the clutch and thought'd I'd consider the mod. I guess I won't need to think about that option any longer. Thanks for the clarification... I appreciate it.


    The clutch is on the other side of the case. No need removing the left case cover to do anything with the clutch.




  6. #5
    Senior Member darnold87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    The clutch is on the other side of the case. No need removing the left case cover to do anything with the clutch.


    Wow, this shows how little I know about these bikes!

    Thanks for the info... I'll be reading up on the shop manual and hopefully gain enough confidence to open things up and check it out.



    Anyone have pics of their clutch-job? It'd be great to see someone else's experience with this...
    ~Davey

    '89 TW200

    '94 Suzuki Sidekick

  7. #6
    Senior Member rm_hm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Near Narrows Bridges, WA State
    Posts
    1,619


  8. #7
    Senior Member sinophilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Verona, Italy
    Posts
    522
    You can find a tutorial with many pictures on the TW clutch here on the French forum (you might need to be logged in, not sure).



    I'll be replacing clutch discs and springs on one of my TW very soon, it should be quite easy with the right tools.
    Red Max - 1996 TW200 - 14/45, 320mm toothed brake disc, X-Racing titanium exhaust, Ricochet skid plate, Mule hitch pins, large pegs, VeeRubber VRM274&275 tires

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Front Sprocket
    By elime in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 08:46 PM
  2. Front Sprocket
    By old betsy in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 05:07 AM
  3. Front sprocket
    By peter in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 07:54 AM
  4. front sprocket
    By JMFLH in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 02:24 PM
  5. Front sprocket noise?
    By Little Valy in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 11:05 PM

Search tags for this page

change front sprocket
,
easier access to counter sprocket tw200
,
modified access
,
modify left side cover
,

yamaha tw200 engine diagram

Click on a term to search for related topics.