In dire need!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In dire need!

I've got a group ride to participate in tomorrow and things aren't looking good!

Yesterday, I changed the oil...that was the easy part. Took it for a "test drive" afterwards and everything seemed OK.

When I went to start it this morning...NO SPARK! I have been through the manual but it's as if mine is different (2001)...the diagrams for measuring the coil resistance don't look anything like my coil!

While cranking it over, there doesn't seem to be any power getting to the coil...but I don't know where to go from here! If it had points and a condensor, I'd have it figured out by now but this has me completely baffled! The parts dealer is only open for another few hours and I don't know what to do.

- Definitely no spark.

- Coil resistance on primary seems to be about 0.3 ohms

- Coil resistance on secondary seems to be about 19 ohms

- Apparently no "voltage" getting to coil during cranking...where do I look now?

The manual mentions measuring "pickup coil" and "source coil" resistances but I have no idea where these items are located...why do they always crap out when you need them?
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Follow-up...

I just tried to get the coil to fire "on the bench" by connecting it to a 12V power supply, but it's as if the primary is shorted or the secondary is open, because I am getting nothing!
    2008 TW200

How about the 'kill' switch on the handle bar, or the kickstand overide that prevents driving off with the kickstand down. I know these are pretty basic, but merit a double check. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The bike will turn over, but there is no spark. The items you listed are part of the cranking circuit, not the ignition.

Thanks anyway!

I should also add that when I got home from my "test drive" last night, the bike was idling funny...missing now and then, when it usually runs like a top!

Further investigation shows that it is likely the SOURCE COIL that is the culprit...750,000 ohms resistance; should be 600-900.

This sounds expensive!
    2008 TW200

Update:

Yup...the "source coil" is fried. Dealer tells me they're $258 (plus taxes) and two weeks direct from Japan which means I'll miss tomorrow's ride. DAMN!

What's worse is that I broke off one of the LOCK-TITE'd Allen screws inside the cover...and it was one that didn't have to be removed!!!!

Some days, it's better to just stay in bed!
    2008 TW200

TW in BC,

Sorry to hear of your motorcycle troubles.

Where is the source coil located? I can't seem to find it in the online parts diagram.

I was curious if an online parts supplier would be significantly less than the dealer's price.

Thanks.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

The "source coil" is located on the stator assembly and as such, you must buy the whole assembly....clever on their part, I guess.

It has two wires going back along with the three from the stator itself. Most of the on-line parts stores that I checked are close to what the dealer quoted me.

Living in Canada means that I would also pay the exchange rate AND shipping, not to mention the cost of having to drive down to the drop-box. Since all the prices were within 10%, I stuck with the dealer. I just hope that the manual was right and that this IS the faulty part, otherwise I'm out a few hundred bucks and still dead in the water!

Sorry to sound in such a panic in the first post, but it was rather dire at the time...I really wanted to make this ride but now I won't and it chokes me.

On the brighter side, it's a good thing this happened NOW, and not four days ago when I was 20 miles into the bush!
    2008 TW200

$208.41 plus shipping from www.stadiumyamaha.com , and they are not showing backordered.

Quote Originally Posted by TW_in_BC View Post
    The "source coil" is located on the stator assembly ...
    Thanks for the explanation.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by TW_in_BC View Post
    The bike will turn over, but there is no spark. The items you listed are part of the cranking circuit, not the ignition.

Thanks anyway!

I should also add that when I got home from my "test drive" last night, the bike was idling funny...missing now and then, when it usually runs like a top!

Further investigation shows that it is likely the SOURCE COIL that is the culprit...750,000 ohms resistance; should be 600-900.

This sounds expensive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links