13 tooth sprocket
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ive been doing a lot of trail riding and would like to be able to pick the front up for little jumps without clutch play. Does anyone that is currently running a 13 tooth front or 55 rear have any opinion about this issue?
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

55/14=3.92:1, 7,747 [email protected] MPH.

50/13=3.84:1, 7,554 [email protected] 55MPH.

Almost the same difference. 'Cept the 13 will be harder on chains.

Stock ratio is 3.57:1, 7,042 [email protected] MPH

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    55/14=3.92:1, 7,747 [email protected] MPH.

50/13=3.84:1, 7,554 [email protected] 55MPH.

Almost the same difference. 'Cept the 13 will be harder on chains.

Stock ratio is 3.57:1, 7,042 [email protected] MPH

What is a 15/55?

Ronnydog

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ronnydog View Post
    What is a 15/55?

Ronnydog

3.66:1 ? my snail is on 2 with stock sprockets, not sure if thats the same for everyone, or how much that changes with the larger sprockets but it was a concern when the larger sprocket thought crossed my mind

Yeah, i've been playing with the sprocket/speed calculator ( http://www.it-ideas.net/bike/calc.htm ) and figured they were pretty close but I really just want to know if it will make the throttle a bit more "torquey"? My friend was talkin about it and thinks it will be easier to go back and forth between a 13 and 15 tooth front sprocket since I wont need to add and remove links from the chain as oppose to doing a 47 or 45-55 dual rear dprocket set-up. But at the same time, he has a split case that makes it much easier to get to the front sprocket.
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    Ive been doing a lot of trail riding and would like to be able to pick the front up for little jumps without clutch play. Does anyone that is currently running a 13 tooth front or 55 rear have any opinion about this issue?

I would avoid the 13 tooth front. I bought one and installed it. I found that the chain on the bottom side had clearance issues with the swingarm frame (with a 50 tooth rear).
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Quote Originally Posted by TW2007 View Post
    I would avoid the 13 tooth front. I bought one and installed it. I found that the chain on the bottom side had clearance issues with the swingarm frame (with a 50 tooth rear).

Why would it have clearance issues with the swingarm frame? Not that i dont believe you, i just dont understand.

Who here has the dual sprocket setup? Do you just keep some extra chain around for switching to the larger sprocket?
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

I have the dual rear sprocket setup with a 50 and 55 tooth. The bike certainly crawls easier with no clutch use with the 55 and will even lift the front end easier. I only cruise at 80kph on the highway and only for short distances. If I have to go longer distances I switch over to the 50 tooth. With a 5 tooth spread on sprockets I was able add links that allows the chain to work on both sprockets. It only takes 5 minutes to change over and I regularly need the extra torque in the mountains. When I added the 55 tooth sprocket I placed it on the outboard position on the axle hub. My reasoning was any chain offset would be present at lower speeds and mostly offroad. At highway speeds the 50 tooth is in the factory position and will cause no potential problems. With the wider O-ring chain you have to be very precise about spacer thickness between the sprockets or something is going to rub. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Why would it have clearance issues with the swingarm frame? Not that i dont believe you, i just dont understand.

Who here has the dual sprocket setup? Do you just keep some extra chain around for switching to the larger sprocket?

The 13 has a smaller diameter, which brings the chain run up from the bottom, and down at the top, if that makes any sense.

It also forces the chain to make a tighter bend, which can be a factor in chain life.

With the proper math you can come up with a pretty good spread on a dual sprocket setup and retain the same chain length, as long as you go dual in the front (think Gizmow)with two different tooth counts (13/14, 14/15 etc.) but you'd have to machine one of the shoulders off the larger sprocket for chain clearance. Radical departures will mean adding a chunk of chain when you change gearing.

I think Qwerty did some sample math on this once upon a time.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hello,

To place a 13 tooth front is a bad idea...

It is better to put of 14/60 = 4,28:1

J' tested many possibilities...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links