Somethong wrong after service
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all.

I bought a 2003 TW200 with 2250km (1400miles). Everything was fine. Had enough power and got a consumption of 22km/l. I took it for a service at a bike shop (on 5800km) and now the bike is sick. I don't want to take it back because I don't trust them anymore. It has less power, surges and missfires. The consumption now is 16km/l.

They adjusted the valves, cleaned the carb and changed the oil and filter.(for x2 the price they quoted).

I have checked the valves, they are fine.

I've stripped the carb, cleaned it and replaced it.

It seems the missfiring is less but the consumption is still down and it still surges.

Can anyone help me please, I loved my TW, but now I don't want to ride it anymore.

Boy inremittent problems are the worst

check oil filter in is correct and has the holes for top end lubrication.

A possibility would be float levels and possible binding on bowl side did you check when carb was open?

Check the air screw adjustment Mine is out 2 1/2 turns

Also reports of the O rings that seal like the air screw being ripped etc.

I'd take it back and make them fix it or at least get your money back.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I played with the needle height but it didn't make a difference. I want to check the float level but they spoilt the screw head of the drain plug of the float chamber.

When I close the tap of the feul tank it starts running smooth after a while. This makes me think it is the float level.

I just now went for a drive without the air cleaner and it runs perfect. I washed it and put new oil on, but when I put it back it is sick again.

Next I will adjust the float level and see what happens.

Thank you for the replies!

I can't get the bike fixed. Adjusted everything in the carb. Maybe the fault is somewere else. When cruising the bike miss fires. When I open the throttle it pulls. When I close the throttle it feels like the bike dies and then goes again. The plug burns black. Valves set to manual settings. Is there anything else I can adjust?

Quote Originally Posted by TW-SA View Post
    I can't get the bike fixed. Adjusted everything in the carb. Maybe the fault is somewere else. When cruising the bike miss fires. When I open the throttle it pulls. When I close the throttle it feels like the bike dies and then goes again. The plug burns black. Valves set to manual settings. Is there anything else I can adjust?

From your description, it sounds like its running rich. Does your main needle have the multiple clips? Maybe could move it up a notch and retest?

I am still at float level or the float valve leaking

Next inspect the floats for any cracks etc

The second float problem is sometimes it is a little sideways so it hits the float side or the seam. It would appear ok and then you put on the bowl and it can be restricted.

I check floats by blowing into a hose on the gas inlet then using a finger raise/lower the floats to check it shuts off where it should. Every carb I have seen if held at its installed attitude then the floats will shut off level with the ground.

The needle has multiple clips. I've tried all in the middle but not the top and bottom clip. Will try the top clip today.

The float shuts off when you blow in and lift it. If it is level to the ground I'm not sure, will check that also.

Thank you so far!

If you turn the petrol off and it runs better it is definately a fuel mixture problem.

If you have a South Africa market bike, you have the #132 main jet installed as original equipment, and the needle with 3 clip locations. This combination allows the bike to run just a tad bit rich, which keeps the operating temps in extrme heat under control, but it is not rich enough to cause the problems you describe. If you've gone through the carb, all the parts are there and properly installed, and the float level and pilot adjustments are good (~2 turns out on the pilot screw) then the next logical place to check is the float needle and seat. I'm thinking a bad o-ring on the needle or a bit of crud wedged between the needle and seat.

Since yout fuel efficiency is down, and no leak, I'd sniff the oil for gasoline contamination.

Remove the float and shake it. If its crack you will hear fuel in it and that can cause it to not have enough "float" to shut off the fuel causing it to slowly weep into the carb. This will be more evident at idle then running under load.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links