Need Exhaust Education
Close

The exhaust system on my '93 TW is pretty much shot. After a minor crash, a rattle developed in the exhaust and upon exploration, I found the innards in the muffler all rusted and loose. So... time for a new muffler.

But... Keeping in mind this is a $1,400 "toy" I really didn't plan on becoming a money pit, I really don't want to put a $400+ exhaust system on it. What to do?

My Yamaha dealer tells me that using anything other than a stock Yamaha exhaust system (i.e. an FMF) will require that the carb be "rejetted" as the bike is used at different elevations. True?? I can't see doing that (if I even knew how). What...? have different jets that one would install depending on where you planned on riding that weekend? Not very practical in mountainous Idaho... (I guess that would depend on how much latitude a jet might have). If I install an aftermarket muffler (the FMF Turbine Core seemed like a good bet at under $150 - that is if if can be had for a 4-stroke bike like the TW), must I become a motorcycle mechanic, constantly tuning the jets? Also, what's involved in mounting something like this? Will it simply bolt onto the stock Yamaha TW header or ??

The other option is to find a stock Yamaha TW muffler. New... not likely as I see they are almost $500.00. Used? Perhaps if I can find one in decent shape.

Maybe one of you who likes to customize your bike has pulled off the stock muffler and would like to sell it at a reasonable price?

What would -you- do???

find someone to cut it in half remove the rattly pieces and weld it back together. as long as it still has the end cap it shouldnt be that much louder. i would try to keep the spark arrestor for riding in the state run parks.

hopes this helps

shawn

edit: i forgot to mention with this idea you would still probably have to rejet. you may get away with raising the needle on the slide and opening up the pilot screw a little bit. any change you make to the back pressure will likely cause you tou readjust your carb. the main jet basically affects the fuel mixture at 3/4 to wide open throttle. it isnt adjustable therfore has to be changed to allow more gas in mixture or subtract gas depending on the exhaust you choose.
    not a TW owner but i play one on this forum.

Shawn...

Interesting idea, but it involves skills and knowledge I don't have. Yeah, I could likely cut it, (with what? a hacksaw?), dump out the pieces, and then what? As I said, the "innards" (which I guess are the spark arrestor and some other stuff I can't identify, and all rusted and in pieces for the most part.

So, I take this stuff out and have someone weld the cut muffler back together? (It would then be basically a hollow tube, no?)

This sentence also assumes I know something about "re-jetting" (I don't have a clue)

"you may get away with raising the needle on the slide and opening up the pilot screw a little bit. any change you make to the back pressure will likely cause you tou readjust your carb. the main jet basically affects the fuel mixture at 3/4 to wide open throttle. it isnt adjustable therfore has to be changed to allow more gas in mixture or subtract gas depending on the exhaust you choose.

Raising the needle on the slide??? Wazzat?? Even if I could find this part and adjust it, how would I know when I had it right? And, I'm assuming if I did it wrong I could easily create new problems, yes?

I need a "unbolt this and take it off, put this on and rebolt it back kind of solution." Yup, I'm a total "noob" when it comes to engine mechanics. I'm willing to learn, but would need more help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    This sentence also assumes I know something about "re-jetting" (I don't have a clue)

Here is a good read to give you some info on your carb and how it works:

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs2.htm

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs.htm

And this site will provide anything you need to know about motorcycle repair/maint:

http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Here is a good read to give you some info on your carb and how it works:

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs2.htm

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs.htm

And this site will provide anything you need to know about motorcycle repair/maint:

http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Good site! - Thanks...

sorry bout the generic answers i shoud have thought more before i wrote. my bad
    not a TW owner but i play one on this forum.

What about just shaking the rust out of it and keep using it as-is, rattle and all? At least for the time being. Even bang all over the thing with a rubber mallet to losten up rust. I did that with mine and got a good cup of rust out of it, no loose parts though, and it works fine.
    If your only tool is a hammer

Everything looks like a nail

Score! I found what I hope will be a decent used stock Yamaha muffler on Ebay (about $75 shipped), and the guy shipped it the same day I ordered it, so it will be here soon I hope. Looks like it could use a little paint. (Anybody that can reccomend what to use? I'm thinking some type of high-temp flat black paint from the auto store, no?). I may keep looking at some of the "upgrades," FMF and such, but for now this will get me operational again.

I'd like to keep this old bike running well and safe, but I don't see rebuilding it a part at a time. I'm hopeful in a year or two of purchasing a new or just slightly used machine, after I decide this will be a long-term sport for me. My little crash has slowed me down a bit, but not soured me on riding. Autumn is hands-down my favorite time of year and I'm anxious to get out on the backrounds again and enjoy it.

I appreciate all here who continue to help with my "education." Thanks gang!

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    ...(Anybody that can reccomend what to use? I'm thinking some type of high-temp flat black paint from the auto store, no?). ...

http://www.krylon.com/products/bbq_hitemp_paint/ Good for temps up to 1,200* F.
    The greatest trick that Jay64 ever pulled was convincing the world he did exist.

Sponosred Links