Main jet assistance.....
Close

Like I posted in the Customization and Performance forum, I just purchased an '06 that has had some mods done to it. It has a TTR 225 head/piston, K&N air filter (with the factory air box cut to heck) and a 250 Ninja muffler. The bike started and ran great, but I noticed that it surged at 35+ mph and when you would come to a stop it wouldn't idle down immediately. I dug into it and found a significant leak on the rubber joint between the head and the carb. I have repaired that leak and tested it and it seems good to go, but now I'm jetted too rich. The bike starts and idles fine but any movement on the throttle wants to kill it. The main that is in the carb now is a #135 and I believe it is so big because the previous owner was trying to overcome the intake leak with more fuel.

My question is this: Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation for main jet size with the mods I have? I believe the factory jet is a #113 but I'd assume I will need more fuel with the larger bore and more air flow. I've tried searching the old TW Forum but I guess the search feature is locked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not the forum carb expert but I will offer you some thoughts. I have been on the forum for awhile and if I recall correctly, my 06 (calif) model had a 128 (lean) main jet in it. Should I be correct, it would seem unlikely your 135 would be much off-base given your mods (more CC's). Perhaps (another guess) your needle has been raised too much and as you open the throttle, you are sucking more fuel than your engine needs at that time. Don't do anything now, Wait for an "expert", or at least a consensus. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by adavis View Post
    Like I posted in the Customization and Performance forum, I just purchased an '06 that has had some mods done to it. It has a TTR 225 head/piston, K&N air filter (with the factory air box cut to heck) and a 250 Ninja muffler. The bike started and ran great, but I noticed that it surged at 35+ mph and when you would come to a stop it wouldn't idle down immediately. I dug into it and found a significant leak on the rubber joint between the head and the carb. I have repaired that leak and tested it and it seems good to go, but now I'm jetted too rich. The bike starts and idles fine but any movement on the throttle wants to kill it. The main that is in the carb now is a #135 and I believe it is so big because the previous owner was trying to overcome the intake leak with more fuel.

My question is this: Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation for main jet size with the mods I have? I believe the factory jet is a #113 but I'd assume I will need more fuel with the larger bore and more air flow. I've tried searching the old TW Forum but I guess the search feature is locked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What year is your bike? Which carb do you have on your bike?

I have both an 07 and 08 these bikes came with a #128 jet and Teikei Carb. Just for a reference when I ride above 10,000 feet (Colorado) is use a #118 jet---And up to 10,000 feet the stock jet seems to work well.

You might want to consider removing the carb and going through it. As Gerry mentioned the previous owner may have done some mods that may or may not be to your liking.

Removing the carb and working on it is not that difficult and then once you have that done you will know what you got.

Good Luck

Mike

The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sorry for not including all the info. My bike is a 2006 with a factory Teikei carb. It was rebuilt before a got it with a TTR225 head and cam and a Weisco 11:1 piston. I tore the carb down and found 4 washers on the main needle and a #135 main jet. Everything else in the carb looked clean, but the main need has a ridge so I'm replacing it. I am going to order a rebuild kit and can specify which main jet I want so I'm trying to figure out what to order. I found a major intake leak when I pulled the carb. I'm replacing the intake joint (between the head and carb) so that will eliminate the leak and probably cause the bike to run rich. I repaired the leak for now and switched the main to a #130 and it seems to run fine, but I want to know what the factory jet size was and if a #130 is enough fuel for the bigger displacement. Has anyone else done the TTR225 conversion and if so what size main did you use? thanks.

Most of my riding seems to be between 1500 and 5500 feet. I went from the stock jet to a 130 some time ago and have had no problems. My main reason for doing this was to minimize the heat that comes from Calif. lean jetting. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Sponosred Links