What different size rear sprockets can I use with same chain?
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member Boret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    404
    So I have 2 sets of wheels for the TW200 with different tires, knobby and street.



    The street tire wheel set doesn't have a rear sprocket so I want to buy one.

    I am also thinking about getting a new O-Ring chain.

    I have the original 14/50.



    I was thinking about having a 52 with the knobby tires and a 47 for the street tires. But I am wondering if I can get away with that and keep the same chain length, just adjust accordingly.



    Is that possible? If not, what are the highest and lowest teeth count I can get away with the same length chain?



    Thanks!



    B.

  2. #2
    Senior Member catamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Boret View Post
    So I have 2 sets of wheels for the TW200 with different tires, knobby and street.



    The street tire wheel set doesn't have a rear sprocket so I want to buy one.

    I am also thinking about getting a new O-Ring chain.

    I have the original 14/50.



    I was thinking about having a 52 with the knobby tires and a 47 for the street tires. But I am wondering if I can get away with that and keep the same chain length, just adjust accordingly.



    Is that possible? If not, what are the highest and lowest teeth count I can get away with the same length chain?



    Thanks!



    B.


    There USED to be a post with the various links required for each sprocket combo. I can't seem to find it anymore, although I'm sure it's out there somewhere.



    Another option you might consider is running a dual-sprocket in the rear. Someone on here has done that... he just uses 2 different chains and picks the one for the type of riding he is going to do.



    BTW, I'm using 15/55 combination and I had to cut 3 or 4 links off of a 130 link chain.



    Check this out: This is a good read



    Also: TW 200 sprocket calculator
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .



    TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Boret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    404
    Thanks for the links. Nice read!

    However, the second to last post asked the same question and didn't get an answer.

    Worst case scenario I will put the same sprocket in both. But I thought that maybe I can put the 50 on the street and do 52 on the knobbies and get away with same chain.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Babaganoush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Boret View Post
    Thanks for the links. Nice read!

    However, the second to last post asked the same question and didn't get an answer.

    Worst case scenario I will put the same sprocket in both. But I thought that maybe I can put the 50 on the street and do 52 on the knobbies and get away with same chain.


    Hi Boret,

    I was never able to use only one chain for different sprockets. I went from 50 to 54 to 52 and each time had to get a longer chain or take links out (54 to 52). Also Gerry (MRGIZMOW) was one of the guys with dual rear sprockets. You should be able to get more info from him.

    Dave

  6. #5
    Senior Member FnMag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    493
    15/47 uses a 120 link.

    Brand new rear sprocket and chain you will be one notch below 3 on the chain adjuster (on mine anyway). Going bigger, I think it's going to be really tight.

  7. #6
    Senior Member FnMag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    There USED to be a post with the various links required for each sprocket combo. I can't seem to find it anymore, although I'm sure it's out there somewhere.



    Another option you might consider is running a dual-sprocket in the rear. Someone on here has done that... he just uses 2 different chains and picks the one for the type of riding he is going to do.



    BTW, I'm using 15/55 combination and I had to cut 3 or 4 links off of a 130 link chain.



    Check this out: This is a good read



    Also: TW 200 sprocket calculator


    Wouldn't a 128 be a closer match ? Or did you just happen to have the 130?

  8. #7
    Senior Member darnold87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    There USED to be a post with the various links required for each sprocket combo. I can't seem to find it anymore, although I'm sure it's out there somewhere.


    I would LOVE to find that post!



    I really want to be able to run 14/50 & 14/47 on the same (o-ring) chain.

    I plan on buying new sprockets and chain ASAP and can't seem to find much info (chain type and links count) to make it a clear decision.
    ~Davey

    '89 TW200

    '94 Suzuki Sidekick

  9. #8
    Senior Member PJungnitsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    1996 TW200 Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    590
    I really want to be able to run 14/50 & 14/47 on the same (o-ring) chain.

    I plan on buying new sprockets and chain ASAP and can't seem to find much info (chain type and links count) to make it a clear decision.


    That should work. I had a 14/50 originally, ordered the same size chain in O-ring and a 47 sprocket and the chain fit. Adjustment went from something like 3 to 7. IIRC the chain is 122 links which I think is stock.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Boret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by PJungnitsch View Post
    That should work. I had a 14/50 originally, ordered the same size chain in O-ring and a 47 sprocket and the chain fit. Adjustment went from something like 3 to 7. IIRC the chain is 122 links which I think is stock.


    Great! That's exactly what I would like to do. I can leave the 50 on the knobby and put the 47 on the street tire.

    The only thing different on mine is that I am already at 6 with the 50 sprocket.... probably means that the chain is a bit stretched.

  11. #10
    Senior Member darnold87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by PJungnitsch View Post
    That should work. I had a 14/50 originally, ordered the same size chain in O-ring and a 47 sprocket and the chain fit. Adjustment went from something like 3 to 7. IIRC the chain is 122 links which I think is stock.


    Thanks for the info!

    Now, the 0-ring chain for a TW is a "428" correct? And I understand DID is a good brand?

    And do they usually come with a master link?
    ~Davey

    '89 TW200

    '94 Suzuki Sidekick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Are chain sprockets directional?
    By dreynolds in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 07:49 AM
  2. Chain and Sprockets Replacement Pictorial
    By n2o2diver in forum Technical Write-Ups
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 06:37 AM
  3. 530 chain and sprockets on a TeeDub?
    By crunch in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 12:37 AM
  4. New 0-ring chain--Are sprockets needed?
    By dganey in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 09:18 AM
  5. new chain and sprockets for Tdub
    By qwerty in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 12:43 AM

Search tags for this page

92 tw200 rear sproket size
,

best sprocket combo for tw200

,

different sprocket size same chain

,
is a chainring the same as a sprocket
,
o-ring chain and sprocket kits for tw200
,
tw200 52 rear sprocket
,
tw200 97-94 same chain
,

tw200 sprocket calculator

,
what size chain on a tw 200 yamaha
,
yamaha tw 200 rear sprocket and chain
,

yamaha tw200 rear sprokets sizes tht can be use on

,
yamaha tw200 sprocket and chain
Click on a term to search for related topics.