• 3 Post By elime
  • 4 Post By Fred
  • 3 Post By admiral
  • 2 Post By littletommy
  • 2 Post By Tweaker
  • 2 Post By supachip1

Thread: possible to over fill fork oil?

possible to over fill fork oil?

hi there, so is it possible to put too much oil in that the seals can't hold the pressure from damping? i thought that was the point.?

I've had a few times only the right side seal leak but now had both leaking on a new set of seals. i put 250ml in, i read the thread about forks and the spacers, and max level, but 250 is below that...maybe they are cheap seals??

any ideas

supachip
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Perhaps a pitted surface that slides on the seal?

When you say "well below the recommended height", at an oil height 157mm there is no damping action. This was the oil height from the factory. At 130mm there is. I don't know the height when damping starts but 157mm is how my forks came and 130mm is what I set them to. HUGE difference in how they worked. Also the air trapped inside the fork tube acts like a spring -- compressing and rebounding. The more oil / the less air the stiffer the "spring".

Did you reinstall the little spring wire keepers that keep the seals from popping out?
    littletommy, admiral and Ken like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Yes, one can add too much fork oil. Can result in blown fork seals.
    Don't recall any previous reported relationships between fork oil volume and height of oil inside the forks so cannot evaluate 250ml of oil. Usually see helpful fork info as elime describes above.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-13-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Idaho Larry had too much fork oil in his forks. Didn't blow the seals but the front suspension was hard as a rock. He drained some out (measurement unknown to me) and life was good.
    littletommy, elime and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Happened to me. Too much and hydro locked the suspension, wouldn't move at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Idaho Larry had too much fork oil in his forks. Didn't blow the seals but the front suspension was hard as a rock. He drained some out (measurement unknown to me) and life was good.
    admiral and Ken like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Just as a reference. I recently added fork oil to my bike up to @ 133mm. I didn't measure how far down it was before starting just added oil up that level. I used the cap of the 1pt oil bottle as a measure and used about two capfulls to bring it up to that level. Less than 2 ounces per fork. I don't know if the PO messed with the forks.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 03-13-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

i have re built the forks as part of the restoration of the bike, 135mm is the oil level from top of fork tube as per manual, 235ml oil, i rounded up to 250 being easier to read on the measuring jug and would make it firmer if anything. i read lizard breath's fork thread and the maximum oil height is 120mm if i recall correctly, so i am well below that...maybe they were cheap seals, all the seals and clips were installed properly..will see how the new ones work out

thanks
    Tweaker and littletommy like this.

What's the magic number 125-135 mm for a person weighing 195 lbs? I'm assuming fork oil is fork oil. Have you ever used this brand? 10w

IMG_7265.JPG
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Sponosred Links