CDI question....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I believe I've figured out my TW's problem, but I want to find out if it is something that has happened to other TW owners. I took my bike to the local, well-respected Yamaha mechanic and explained my situation (acts like its "missing" above 45mph, not much top end power, idles great and runs fine at lower speeds/rpms). I fired the bike up and it idles perfect, but as soon as I got to around 1/2 throttle it starts to cut out and run terrible. It only took him about 3 seconds to say "its your CDI". He said that normally a CDI will just go out completely, but that he's worked on several TW's with my same issue and it has been the CDI unit. He wasn't sure why, but apparently TW's can have the CDI go out partially.

So when I got home I started searching on this forum and the old one about CDI testing. I haven't done any of the testing yet, but will over the weekend. I just wanted to know if anyone on here has had the same issue and if it truly is possible for a TW to "partially" lose the CDI. If anyone also has a link to a thread that talks specifically about the testing procedure for the CDI that would be great. I am only able to find threads that give some information here and some there....not all in one thread.

Thanks.

The answer is YES. A couple years ago I had issues with my bike, idled fine but that was it. Give it throttle and the hesitation made it impossible to ride. CDI fixed it. Went camping a few weeks ago and took my buddies TW up with us, he had said it wasn't running too well - but I figured I would have plenty of "down" time to dial it in as it sounded like a fuel issue. Spent a great deal of time with the carb, it's nice and clean now - but still no joy. Swapping tanks did not help either. Started checking wiring and for some reason bumped the CDI ............... and the bike started running fine!!!!

This bike has an intermittent CDI. Rode around the remaining days of the trip, left the side cover off and the CDI hanging so I could tap it against the carrier when it started running bad again.

YES - I have proof positive that they can be intermittent. Never would have guessed and only accidentally stumbled on it! By the way - both bikes are '87's.

Thanks EaglesCall for the real-life experience. I've noticed that 87's seem to have CDI problems. Does that issue carry over to newer bikes? Mine is an '06 and I'm wondering if the CDI is basically the same throughout the years? I think the earlier CDI had spade connectors and the newer ones have a single plug, but other than that are there any real differences? I guess I'm wondering if a newer CDI can be intermittent? Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I can't speak to the newer ones, but by looking through the forums I would say all years have problems with the CDI at some point. The '87 is different as my buddy just picked up a couple off of eBay. One was supposed to be for an '87 and the other for an '88. Both of them have an extra yellow wire on them so I'm guessing neither of them are for an '87.

According to the local Yamaha dealer. The model TW200T/TC is a 1987 with a 9 wire CDI. The model TW200EU/EUC is a 1988 and newer 10 wire CDI. They changed the charging wiring. This is what they said, anyone with different info please let me know. Got my bike running this evening so I'm going to see if I need the yellow wire connection. Thanks, Al

Quote Originally Posted by AWBJr View Post
    According to the local Yamaha dealer. The model TW200T/TC is a 1987 with a 9 wire CDI. The model TW200EU/EUC is a 1988 and newer 10 wire CDI. They changed the charging wiring. This is what they said, anyone with different info please let me know. Got my bike running this evening so I'm going to see if I need the yellow wire connection. Thanks, Al
    I checked the running out put of my charging system and it is at 14.8v above idle, it is 13.4 at idle..... without the yellow wire connected.... don't know what the long range effects will be but will post, if any. Al

OK... somebody has to ask the "dumb question." What is a "CDI", what does it do and where is it located?

The CDI is a computer control of the bike, I believe it controls the electrical systems of the bike, ignition and charging. Al

Its been a while since I've been on and I do have an update to my situation. I found a lightly used CDI from a 2002 with 2100 miles on it for $60. When it arrived, I installed it in 30 seconds and fired the bike up. It started right up and idled fine, but when I started to rev it up the same symptoms arose. When it revs above about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle it starts to cut out (even when its sitting in my driveway running, without riding it). Its almost like it gets out of timing or something, but I know these bikes are have a fixed timing. I've now replaced the carb and the CDI with no improvement. Does anyone have any suggestions? The bike runs great at idle and even at low RPM, but as soon as you start to wind it up the problem begins. Its gotten worse since I bought the bike. The last time I rode it back from work it was all I could do to get it to 55mph on the flats. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is this something that could involve the stator or coil?

Quote Originally Posted by AWBJr View Post
    The CDI is a computer control of the bike, I believe it controls the electrical systems of the bike, ignition and charging. Al

Thankfully the TDub doesn't have a computer. Here's a link that explains way more about Capacitor Discharge Ignition than any of us will probably ever need to know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacit...harge_ignition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links