Lack of acceleration
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Lack of acceleration

Lack of acceleration

Okay here is what I have here a 2008 TW200 with 4,000 miles on it. Had to replace the float due to someone's stupid fix on the carb. So no issues there. What is happening is, in 2nd and 3rd gears when you grab a hand full of throttle, very lack luster response. Engine rpms come up though not much any mph response. Kind of tells me of a clutch issue. Higher gears it is a bit better though still acts like it is slipping some yet. I want to pull the clutch pack and check the friction plates to see if they are glazed over. Maybe add a couple stouter clutch springs to improve the pressure on the plates. Not sure if an energy gag conserving oil was used in the engine. One other thing, the chain. parts fiche says 428HG 122link chain, I want to put a better chain on possibly a oring chain. Any suggestions on that?
    littletommy likes this.

Lots of threads on the chain if you search.The O ring is the way I would go but there are a few options you may like better.As for the slipping, start with the oil and check the adjustment and also the return spring placement.Some of the guys had issues with the spring being in the wrong position.
    littletommy likes this.

Oh and welcome to the forum.Where are you from?
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I'm from New Mexico. Clutch adjustment is fine and return spring is as well, as far as the oil, if the wrong type of oil was used, would still have to pull the clutch pack out and give it a good cleaning to get any residue off.

The clutch will usually slip in higher gears earliest when it's wearing out. There are many threads about the weak clutch feeling. But it works.
    These bikes are not powerful but the engine should rev to 9k and move it through the gears as it speeds up. Just not that quickly.

Hummm . . . Sounds like bad clutch disks due to wear or wrong oil. The Forum goes around and around about oil but, basicly, any good motorcycle oil make for wet clucthes should be fine.

If it were me, before I tore it down I would drain the existing oil, invest a quart of your moto oil of choice, and see if it gets better. If not, tear it down. If it does help, drain and replace the oil again. That might do it.

I am not sure how many miles most TW owners get on a stock clutch but mine (1995 w/3,500 mi) is so grabby that I can not imagine it being worn due to slipping. If the disks are bad you might try the Barnett Kevlar disks some guys here are using.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...Barnett+clutch
    littletommy likes this.

Barnett Kevlar clutch. I offered this guy $70 and he accepted.

YAMAHA BARNETT CLUTCH KIT TW200 TW 200 1978 - 2015 | eBay

BTW, I liked the clutch so much I ordered a second one for my other TW.
    littletommy and socalnative like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Barnett Kevlar clutch. I offered this guy $70 and he accepted.

YAMAHA BARNETT CLUTCH KIT TW200 TW 200 1978 - 2015 | eBay

BTW, I liked the clutch so much I ordered a second one for my other TW.
    Thanks, I have it on my eBay watch list!
    littletommy likes this.
    Retired guy Central Iowa, Lots of Hobby's

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill5491 View Post
    Okay here is what I have here a 2008 TW200 with 4,000 miles on it. Had to replace the float due to someone's stupid fix on the carb. So no issues there. What is happening is, in 2nd and 3rd gears when you grab a hand full of throttle, very lack luster response. Engine rpms come up though not much any mph response. Kind of tells me of a clutch issue. Higher gears it is a bit better though still acts like it is slipping some yet. I want to pull the clutch pack and check the friction plates to see if they are glazed over. Maybe add a couple stouter clutch springs to improve the pressure on the plates. Not sure if an energy gag conserving oil was used in the engine. One other thing, the chain. parts fiche says 428HG 122link chain, I want to put a better chain on possibly a oring chain. Any suggestions on that?

o-ring chain
    littletommy likes this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links