Mechanic in SF Bay Area for 1987 TW200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Mechanic in SF Bay Area for 1987 TW200

Mechanic in SF Bay Area for 1987 TW200

I'm having a hard time finding a mechanic to service my bike because of the age.

I have an intermittent problem that seems to happen when the engine is warmed up, but not always? I've recently had the carb overhauled and a vacuum leak was identified, but that didn't solve the problem. It seems to get fuel starved and with increasing throttle it bucks and hisses and will backfire with no power; shift gears and it will power up briefly then go back to fuel starved? Pulling my hair out and cant trust it for a long trail ride. Current mechanic is going out of the business and I could use a recommendation for anywhere within 75 miles of SF.
    littletommy likes this.

Welcome to the forum!!

Sounds like the typical 87's only weakness. The CDI.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgb View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding a mechanic to service my bike because of the age.

I have an intermittent problem that seems to happen when the engine is warmed up, but not always? I've recently had the carb overhauled and a vacuum leak was identified, but that didn't solve the problem. It seems to get fuel starved and with increasing throttle it bucks and hisses and will backfire with no power; shift gears and it will power up briefly then go back to fuel starved? Pulling my hair out and cant trust it for a long trail ride. Current mechanic is going out of the business and I could use a recommendation for anywhere within 75 miles of SF.
    Purple, lbxr and socalnative like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Hi KGB, and welcome to the forum!

Where are you located in the Bay Area? The 1987 model year is rumored to have problematic CDI boxes. I have a 1987 parts bike that was running before I started cannibalizing parts from it. You are welcome to borrow my CDI box to see if that makes any difference on your bike.

There is also another fellow NorCal Nutjob that has two 1987's that are both tuned to perfection (Hint: His initials are Tony ) who may willing to offer some advice/assistance.

Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks; I live in Walnut Creek and work in San Jose, so I'm close to you. CDI Box sounds like a potential culprit and it would be great to eliminate that as the issue. The previous owner had an alarm hooked up and there is a rat's nest of wiring that I thought could contribute to the problem if a bare wire shorts, but I've been reluctant to mess with it. How can we orchestrate the handoff?
    littletommy likes this.

I just got home and popped off the CDI box for you. I will PM you with the details for picking it up.

Brian

Golden Bolt.jpg
    "TW-Brian" must be Minnesotan for "Always Above and Beyond"
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    Golden Bolt.jpg
    "TW-Brian" must be Minnesotan for "Always Above and Beyond"
    ^^^THIS^^^Above and beyond the call of duty

admiral and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by kgb View Post

Does the engine race for a split second to a second at times too? It could be exhaust leak right at the cylinder head to exhaust pipe. (JUST ANOTHER THOGHT)

VALLEJO POWERSPORTS
    littletommy likes this.

Nope, no engine racing. It runs fine and then all of a sudden decides to not accept any throttle and hisses and backfires with no power to drive forward. Gonna try the CDI Box Brian has so graciously suggested and I'll post progress from there.

My bet is that the CDI will be the fix.
    littletommy, elime and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links