Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By TW2000
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian
  • 3 Post By LuvNot
  • 4 Post By Gerry
  • 1 Post By elime

Thread: Clutch indentation rod is bad from factory

Clutch indentation rod is bad from factory

Hello fellow TWs. I just bought a brand new 2016 TW in March 2017, it had no miles. Turns out I could not take delivery because the clutch was sticking. Turns out the clutch indentation rod was not installed properly from the factory. After two weeks from the day I bought it (and never had it), I finally picked it up. I road 22 miles and the clutch failed. I called Yamaha and they helped me adjust the cable over the phone. It worked. I drove two miles and it failed again. I called Yamaha and they helped me get it running again. I drove one more mile and the clutch failed again completely, no clutch. I was at 24 TOTAL MILES at this time. I got the TW back to Yamaha and upon inspection, the clutch indentation rod had popped out of position a second time. I drove the bike very very carefully and I had nothing to do with the clutch failing. Now Yamaha just wants to fix it again and give it back to me. I say that's not such s good idea. Anyway, I do see other mentions in the forum about indentation rods. What should I do, need advice, two week old bike with 24 miles and several clutch failures that are INSIDE the motor? Thank you.
    Ken likes this.

Hi TW2000 and welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about the problems that you are having, but these are clearly not your fault. I am not sure what the problem is but it also sounds your dealer doesn't know either. Put the burden on them to come up with a solution that is fair and satisfactory to you - even if that means replacing your bike.

Brian

Hmm... you are the second person recently who has had issues with his dealer. If they keep giving you the run around about this, don't be afraid to contact a lawyer. I hate to say that, but sometimes consumers need help.
    Tallahasseetw, jtstdub and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

clutch spring photo

https://tw200forum.com/forum/attachme...t-100_4375.jpgThough this is not the cause of your problem, it may be a visual clue as to the competency of the shops service dept... Note how the clutch arm return spring curves up and over the lever. I (we) have noted that many bikes come right off the showroom floor with that spring 'hanging' loose. This makes for a very mushy feel at the lever. I would suggest you use this as a visual clue should the dealership give you a call and suggest your machine is fixed and ready to picked up. Look for and at that spring..... If it is not in the position you see in this photo, it likely came from the factory that way. I then would be inclined to point this out and suggest you no longer have faith in bike or the shop's ability to fix it properly. At this point, you would only feel comfortable with a new bike, or your money. The shops loss will be minimal, likely a few dollars in parts and some labor to keep a mechanic busy on a slow day and then the bike would be sold as a demo. Don't be resistant to spending a couple of bucks talking with an attorney.
    Last edited by Gerry; 03-29-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    admiral, AGman, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Take care my Friend.........

had the same "spring not attached" issue, caught it and fixed it about mile 3. My clutch still doesn't seem to return smoothly almost like something is hanging or cable is sticking. sound like the same issue? Im a noob to the tw's and hoped that some experience can save me some headache with smoothing out the clutch.

What exactly is the "clutch indention rod" ?

Clutch parts..jpg
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

There is an internal clutch adjustment made by turning rod #9 left or right and then locking it in place with the nut the left red arrows points to. If that lock nut isn't tightened or comes loose the clutch will work for a little while and then quit. Maybe that is what is wrong.

Clutch red arrows..jpg

From your description of adjusting the clutch and getting it to work a little while, which I guess you mean adjust the clutch cable, means to me it isn't the clutch cable causing the problem. And the fact the the clutch worked well at least part of the time suggests to me the basic parts are OK and that it is just a matter of putting it together correctly.
    Lyterx likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/attachme...t-100_4375.jpgThough this is not the cause of your problem, it may be a visual clue as to the competency of the shops service dept... Note how the clutch arm return spring curves up and over the lever. I (we) have noted that many bikes come right off the showroom floor with that spring 'hanging' loose. This makes for a very mushy feel at the lever. I would suggest you use this as a visual clue should the dealership give you a call and suggest your machine is fixed and ready to picked up. Look for and at that spring..... If it is not in the position you see in this photo, it likely came from the factory that way. I then would be inclined to point this out and suggest you no longer have faith in bike or the shop's ability to fix it properly. At this point, you would only feel comfortable with a new bike, or your money. The shops loss will be minimal, likely a few dollars in parts and some labor to keep a mechanic busy on a slow day and then the bike would be sold as a demo. Don't be resistant to spending a couple of bucks talking with an attorney.

You got a love this group they see a problem and they unite and fix

Sponosred Links