Stock luggage rack on Tw200
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Stock luggage rack on Tw200

Howdy all,

I just picked up a 2012 Tdub as my first motorcycle, and I'm a little confused about the luggage options.

Doesn't seem like there is any info out there on what works best, unless its the really beefy stuff.

I don't have any need for large racks, but I have ordered the smallish OEM Yamaha rack to try out.

I asked the dealer about the black luggage pad on the rear fender, but she said that its not really meant for weight, and I could crack/break my fender if I attach a top box to it.

Does this sound correct? Seems to me that they wouldn't have put that mount there if it was useless...

After a little more looking around on the web, I'm not so sure, and could use some opinions on this.

What it comes down to is the Yamaha OEM rack looks to have an upward sweep in the tubing on the back of the rack that I'm guessing makes it hard to attach something like a Givi Monolock plate to since it is not a completely flat surface. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

But if I am wrong, the case that I'm looking at is the small E26 Givi, so I'm wondering if I could skip the rack and a Givi plate would just attach to the stock plate (or in place of), and hold up okay?

I previously had a Zuma, and the trunk capacity on that worked well for me.

I really just need it for rain gear, small grocery trips, laptop/lunch for work, or helmet storage.

So nothing too heavy, at least not on a regular basis.

I am using the bike mainly for 4 season city commuting, and will be carrying a passenger on occasion.

If anyone has any pics of a similar setup to what I'm speaking about, please feel free to post!

Thanks for all help in advance!

My 07 has a label on the bike that says 7 pounds max on the rear fender. If your box and luggage will not weigh more that that, I say go for it but your load will probably be more than that since a gallon of water/milk weighs 8 pounds.
    Hidden Content

2007 TW200, Moose Racing Contour handgaurds, Tool Tube, 12 volt socket, H4 bulb, gel grips.

That stock pad on the fender is basically for your bag lunch, or a rolled up jacket. IIRC it's rated at 7 lbs.. The 3 screws don't touch metal! They are just holding the pad on the plastic fender. To mount anything serious with them you need to add metal straps under the fender, tying into the frame.

Most small to medium sized racks have a front bracket that mounts to a cross bar under the back of the seat, and side brackets connected at the turn signals. The limiting factor there is that the frame under the rear fender is a bolted on extension from about the back of the seat on back.

The beefier Cyclerack has bars going down to the rear foot peg mounts, and a bracket to the cross bar under the seat. This means the rack is bolted to solid frame, not the bolted on rear extension under the fender.

I made three small brackets that mount like the mid-sized racks. One at the cross bar under the seat, and a left & right at the turn signals. These are bolted directly to a Rubber Maid Action Packer box. It's solid enough to carry just about anything I can fit in the box.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Picker & Grinner View Post
    My 07 has a label on the bike that says 7 pounds max on the rear fender. If your box and luggage will not weigh more that that, I say go for it but your load will probably be more than that since a gallon of water/milk weighs 8 pounds.

Yeah, that was my concern, too. Id feel like an idiot for telling the story of how I broke off my rear fender with a gallon of milk and some catfood...

btw, what is that tube you have mounted under there?

Looks perfect for long term rain gear storage.

Thanks for the reply on the weight concerns of that rear fender, y'all.

Now, before I start thinking of McGyvering anything up, has anyone attached a top box to that OEM Yamaha rack successfully?

One option, if that rear sweep on the rack is a problem, would be to just chop that back bar off I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by TdubOhio View Post
    Now, before I start thinking of McGyvering anything up, has anyone attached a top box to that OEM Yamaha rack successfully?

It is an operators manual storage tube meant to go on a tractor or a piece of equipment, and yes, it would be perfect for a rain coat. I ordered it from a company called Agri-Supply for a few dollars. It is waterproof and I keep my proof of insurance, registration, extra headlight bulb, black tape, and a few tools in it

as well. Some people keep a quart bottle of extra gas in them.
    Rockit likes this.
    Hidden Content

2007 TW200, Moose Racing Contour handgaurds, Tool Tube, 12 volt socket, H4 bulb, gel grips.

Quote Originally Posted by TdubOhio View Post
    Yeah, that was my concern, too. Id feel like an idiot for telling the story of how I broke off my rear fender with a gallon of milk and some catfood...

Thanks for the reply on the weight concerns of that rear fender, y'all.

One option, if that rear sweep on the rack is a problem, would be to just chop that back bar off I suppose...

My 2008 came with a OEM rack. I immediately replaced it with a CycleRacks.com rack (front &rear). The 7 lb limit for the OEM rack just wouldn't cut it. The CycleRacks.com racks will carry just about anything you can lash to them.
    KJ

2008 Yamaha TW200

2011 Kawasaki Versys

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV

2013 Honda CRF250L

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post

Lol. I said "top box", not top floor of your house, lol...

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna go ahead and get an E26 Givi monolock and see if I can make it work...

Like I said, I don't need a ton of storage, but i've got to have something.

I'll post pics here when I get it all figured out by next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    My 2008 came with a OEM rack. I immediately replaced it with a CycleRacks.com rack (front &rear). The 7 lb limit for the OEM rack just wouldn't cut it. The CycleRacks.com racks will carry just about anything you can lash to them.

From the pics I have seen, the rear cycle rack is super cool, but looks like it makes it nearly impossible, if not just uncomfortable, for a passenger to ride.

I def need to have the passenger option...

Hi. If you go to ebay and search for "tw200 rack" (without the quotes), you will see many different options. I purchased the square rack with a buy it now of $69.97; it's solid, easy to install and satisfactory for my needs.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links