Open to advice
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Open to advice

Open to advice

Good afternoon. I have recently had an issue with the wrong oil filter being used in my bike. I have pursued the issue as far as I am willing to with the responsible party. I am through with them! I am going to try and learn from this incident. My intention is to try and fix this bike myself. This will give me the opportunity to grow more comfortable with doing my own maintenance in the future and hopefully save me some money on the repairs. If it doesn't work out then I will decide what to do with the bike going forward. I have the manual and will be referencing it. I am not a mechanic but do know a little bit about the parts of a motor and how they work. I am currently trying to determine if the piston, cylinder, and cam are any good. I am attaching pics. I was able to turn the motor over by the crank. Any advice, including the best place to locate replacement parts are appreciated.

Thanks.0401171739.jpg0401171740.jpg0401171741.jpg

It's too bad that happened, but it looks like you are well on the way to fixing it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by still learning View Post
    Good afternoon. I have recently had an issue with the wrong oil filter being used in my bike. I have pursued the issue as far as I am willing to with the responsible party. I am through with them! I am going to try and learn from this incident. My intention is to try and fix this bike myself. This will give me the opportunity to grow more comfortable with doing my own maintenance in the future and hopefully save me some money on the repairs. If it doesn't work out then I will decide what to do with the bike going forward. I have the manual and will be referencing it. I am not a mechanic but do know a little bit about the parts of a motor and how they work. I am currently trying to determine if the piston, cylinder, and cam are any good. I am attaching pics. I was able to turn the motor over by the crank. Any advice, including the best place to locate replacement parts are appreciated.

Thanks.0401171739.jpg0401171740.jpg0401171741.jpg
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Yeah, I am no expert but the parts do look rough. This bike has less than 1800 miles on it. I am saving up some money and trying to get a game plan together. Thanks for your input.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When the piston gets galled like that there is usually some aluminum bits that get into the crankcase. Did you see anything in the oil after you drained it?

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I'd be looking for a donor engine.
    littletommy and AGman like this.

The oil filter had quite abit of shiny metal on it. The oil looked dirty for only having 15 or 20 miles on it.

Ideally a new oversize piston in a bored out cylinder and a new camshaft with new rockers and new aluminum doughnut. Personally I am not worried about soft aluminum metal flake in the oil. That will go away after a couple of oil changes.

Second choice is used parts off of forum members or ebay. Pay your nickel and take your chances. Probably will work out OK, you never know.

Third choice is make the parts you have work, or at least work for a little while. This choice is going to incur the wrath of many forum members but it is what I would have done in my youth when I had no money for parts. It can be very enlightening what you can make work when you try.

Are the rings free in the grooves? If so sand the piston skirts smooth, not real smooth, just knock off the high spots so it goes up and down in the cylinder smoothly. The cylinder wall looks bad because piston metal, aluminum, has transferred to the cylinder wall. Sand it off. Aluminum is much softer than steel and will come off quickly. Ideally hone the cylinder but if you haven't got a hone you are done.

With fine emery paper polish the bad spots on the cam lobes and rocker arms and grease them up well when you reassemble things. Make sure the the camshaft rotates freely in the aluminum doughnut. With luck this will last several thousand miles and maybe even longer. You never know until you try.

As an aside, the cylinder in my second TW had scratches and rust damage. I smoothed them out (it looked terrible) and installed new rings and it ran beautifully. Big D used it on several rides of the NorCal Nut Jobs and it did very well. Zero problems.

My 2 cents worth of advice. Good luck. Tony
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

small claims court?
    littletommy and LuvNot like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

1st over piston/ring kit, have the cylinder bored, new camshaft and likely the rockers as well and put it back together and go again. I've rebuilt several engine's with pistons in worse shape than that without splitting the cases and everything was fine. I would make the first oil change fairly quickly but that should be a given on a new motor anyway. IF you were closer I'd help you throw it back together no problem, take about as long to rebuild as it does to drink a 6 pack
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

Or if you don't want to rebuild yours, this looks like a pretty good deal here to work with
    1987 Yamaha TW200 TW 200 Trailway engine motor block transmission jug head parts | eBay
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links