Complete Teardown
Close

I was planning on stripping it down to the frame for powdercoating over the winter but seeing as it's already getting a little cold I might do it a bit sooner. I need a little grinding and replacing done anyway.

Anyhow I was wondering for those of you that have done it, how'd you go about keeping track of everything and in what order did you remove things? Any advice on the subject is appreciated.

start with everything BUT the main rolling section. get a bunch of ziploc baggies, and label all the fasteners to remove each item together on one baggy. take lots of pictures and have fun

As you remove the bolts, lay them out in the pattern the reinstall. Take a picture. Place the bolts for each separate component in a baggy with a label. I've seen people place the bolts in their holes and use masking tape to hold them in place.

Bolts that screw into a component you won't be coating, like the seat bolts, simply screw them in the holes from which they came.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Take LOTS of pictures! And the ziploc bag technique is absolutely necessary!!! I didn't do that on my project and I paid the price.

Three months later when you have little recollection of what goes where, you'll kick yourself for not bagging them up.
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

When I rebuilt my '80 850 Special, I went to the hobby/craft store & bought a bunch of styrofoam blocks. I put the bolts in a block in the same pattern they came off the bike. I also stuck small parts in the foam. Then I labeled & sketched enough on the block to know where the bolts/parts were from. Added notes of any problems I'd had while removing them (springs & things that fell or flew).

Had a mess of foam blocks up on the shelves. When I was putting the bike back together I just glanced at the shelves & grabbed the block that had the parts name on it.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Quote Originally Posted by srs713 View Post
    When I rebuilt my '80 850 Special, I went to the hobby/craft store & bought a bunch of styrofoam blocks. I put the bolts in a block in the same pattern they came off the bike. I also stuck small parts in the foam. Then I labeled & sketched enough on the block to know where the bolts/parts were from. Added notes of any problems I'd had while removing them (springs & things that fell or flew).

Had a mess of foam blocks up on the shelves. When I was putting the bike back together I just glanced at the shelves & grabbed the block that had the parts name on it.

I like that idea. Pretty clever

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    I like that idea. Pretty clever

I got the idea when my mom had me drive her around one day. She was getting stuff from the craft store, and as I was waiting while she checked out, there were these fake flowers poked into the foam blocks next to the register.

I just stood there thinking, hey... bolts! I went back several times as I kept running out of blocks. Once I started using them I found all kinds of things that would stick in them. One large piece kept the valves, springs, & rockers in the right order. Of course the 850 had 3 cylinders, kinda hard to mix up the TW's valves, eh?
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Sponosred Links