Best place to get replacement sprockets and recommendation on an O-ring chain
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Best place to get replacement sprockets and recommendation on an O-ring chain

Best place to get replacement sprockets and recommendation on an O-ring chain

By "best", I mean best price :-) The sprockets have over 15,000 miles on them and the chain about 10,000. I'm satisfied with the stock gearing.

I started searching for the information but got impatient wading through it all.

Thanks!
    Ken likes this.
    2013 TW200---2007 XT225---2014 CB500X
    "Everyday is a school day"

I just looked up sprockets and X-ring chain prices today. Rocky Mountain MC has good prices with excellent shipping options. You are also going to need a case gasket and it's a good time to replace the oil seals.
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    If I知 ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Thanks. You don't happen to have part numbers on those seals do you? The chain I need with the stock gears is a 122 link, correct?
    Any thoughts on factory VS aftermarket sprockets?

I just looked up sprockets and X-ring chain prices today. Rocky Mountain MC has good prices with excellent shipping options. You are also going to need a case gasket and it's a good time to replace the oil seals.[/QUOTE]
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    2013 TW200---2007 XT225---2014 CB500X
    "Everyday is a school day"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm ordering JT Sprokets

Chain Links
    Stock 50 tooth: 122 links
    45 tooth: 120 links
    55 tooth: 124 links
    65 tooth: 130 links
    Dryden-Tdub, littletommy and Fred like this.
    If I知 ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Any thoughts on factory VS aftermarket sprockets?

The stock Yamaha sprockets are very good quality and are both steel. Most aftermarket rear sprockets are aluminum. If the Yamaha sprockets are price competitive, you might want to consider using them.

littletommy and Purple like this.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Here is the chain that I use. It is 132 links, so you would have to shorten it if you are using the stock size sprockets.

KMC O-Ring Chain 428UO x 132L

TopPredator, I agree with you on JT sprockets

JT sprockets use a special type of hardened steel which means that after more than 15000 miles the rear sprocket on my bike shows nearly no sign of wear!

I also recommend x-ring chain instead of o-ring chain, the DID 428 VX chain is the chain I'm using and you can get 20 000 miles on that chain if you look after it, no joke.
    littletommy likes this.
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelis View Post
    TopPredator, I agree with you on JT sprockets

JT sprockets use a special type of hardened steel which means that after more than 15000 miles the rear sprocket on my bike shows nearly no sign of wear!

I also recommend x-ring chain instead of o-ring chain, the DID 428 VX chain is the chain I'm using and you can get 20 000 miles on that chain if you look after it, no joke.
    JT Sprocket also seem to have a wider range of sizes to choose from. I have only read about how superior the x-ring chain is over others and Im currently running a DID o-ring chain on my 06. I've had it on for two years now with probably 6,000 miles and haven't had to adjust for stretch. 20,000 miles is impressive especially when it's expensive to replace sprockets and chains. The little extra you pay for an x-ring chain is huge when it comes to money and maintenance time. People don't realize other what parts you need when replacing sprockets. I only found out that I needed a rear sprocket bolt kit after I had my bike apart. The nylon nuts are only a one time use because they won't hole tight the second time without lock washers.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 04-11-2017 at 04:58 AM.
    littletommy and Cornelis like this.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I was holding off to buy a chain for my Black Widow project until I decided what sprocket I was going to run. My 06 had a 45 tooth on it when I bought it so I didn't know how a stock 50 gearing would perform. After riding my Black Widow this past weekend with the stock 50 tooth I'm going with the 45 tooth on it as well. The 50 tooth is a 55 MPH bike and the 45 tooth is a 65 MPH bike. The TW still has low enough first and second gears to handle trails and gives you excellent gearing for two lane back roads. It's like having a 6th speed transmission. My 4th gear on the 45 tooth is exactly the same as the 5th gear on the 50 tooth rear sprocket that I'm currently running on the BW. I love the 45 tooth sprocket

If you are interested in a 45 tooth JT Amazon has them for $23.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 04-11-2017 at 05:33 AM.
    littletommy and Cornelis like this.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links