Mixture screw trouble
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Mixture screw trouble

Hi everybody, here I'm again trying to get some help/advice.
    I was doing a major carburetor clean up and I have decide to replace the mixture screw to be sure everything is clean and good working condition.
    It was set approx. 2 1/4 turns out so I started to unscrew it out and just 3 or 3 1/5 it began to get really hard, I know there isn't other way out so I had no other option to use all my hand power for a few turns until the last few threats it became smooth again and it came out.
    Now is when I have the problem, the new screw or even the used one refuses to go back all the way in. It starts nice and smooth but it gets to the point that doesn't want to go in anymore, I'm destroying the head with the screwdriver and I know that's is not bottoming in, the head is almost flush with the carburetor edge so if I open 2 1/2 turns out from there the head sticks out. Both screw are identical length!
    Does anyone had this situation?? The carburetor thread looks fine to me. I put a drop of oil and it didn't help at all. When I pulled it out I saw that the O ring got smashed so I don't get what's going on. I will really appreciate if anyone has a suggestion to put that little bugger back in place.
    Thanks a lot
    Daveed
    Last edited by xicarro; 04-22-2017 at 09:49 PM.

It sounds like the o-ring is to big.

This is about how it should look:

P5190024.JPG

Inserting it upside down the head of the screw with the o-ring should slip in -- add a drop of oil to make it easy.

P3190026 (2).JPG

Good luck.
    Last edited by elime; 04-22-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    Mel, cowboyjeff, Purple and 1 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

The screw doesn't go in even without o-ring, washer and spring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would carfully inspect both threads for any damage or debris before very carefully trying to chase both sets with correct tap and die. Confirm everything is clean since it sounds like the old screw had to plow through something fouling the female threads. Smashed O-ring on the new mixture screw hints of some remaining obstruction like aluminum shaved from the female threads when the original mixture screw was forcedly removed.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Maybe some junk stuck in the hole.

Take a bright light and look into the hole. Hopefully it is something you can remove.

This is where the tip of the screw sticks out when the screw is bottomed. Maybe you can see something here?

P3190027 (2).JPG
    Last edited by elime; 04-22-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    Fred, cowboyjeff and Purple like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

The hole is clean. I think Fred has the right answer though the problem i don't know how to clean the female/carburetor thread. I guess I will have to find the way to tap it.
    cowboyjeff likes this.

Problem is an un-modified tap will likely bottom out before cleanng up all the threads, plus may generate it's own shavings that will also need to be removed. May have to cut off some of the tap's tapered tip. Perhaps just a normal straight cut bolt of the right pitch carefully screwed in could locate, if not improve, the problem area if it is in the female threads.
    A demtal pick might also be able to chase down the threads to identify any irregularity and possibly clean up threads. Good luck, a frustrating dilemma.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I'm back on business Fred!!
    I couldn't find any bolt of the same thread pitch so I had to be creative. Using a Camelback hose cleaning brush and air compressor, patiently I cleaned up the carburetor thread. It goes all the way in pretty smooth , the only thing is when it passes the 2 1/2 turns out gets kind of loose, I don't think should be a major issue or I will have to re install a plug so I don't mess with it any more!!!!!
    Thanks

Don't know if you guys have "PTFE" tape over there - solves a few problems keeping loose threads in place ......
    littletommy, Ken and cowboyjeff like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I think we call it Teflon tape here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Don't know if you guys have "PTFE" tape over there - solves a few problems keeping loose threads in place ......
    Purple and Ken like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links