Trailtech tachometer install....info needed.
Close

Installing a Trailtech tach(model TTO). The instructions have you pick between .5,#1 and #2 PPR( pulses per revolution)....does the TW have a "wasted spark" system?.I choose #1 to start with....the upper rpm's seem to be accurate?...it's when the bike is idling that's in question?.I do not have a trained ear for such things....the manual says the TW idles between 1350 and 1550 rpm's. This tach is showing a 1600ish idle?.....the bike doesn't "sound" like it is idling that high....then again,it may be my hearing.The tach has a lead that you wrap around the plug wire "X" amount of times(added info).Any suggestions.

The TW does have a "wasted spark" ignition system so it will have 1 pulse per revolution (i.e., it will spark on both the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke)

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    The TW does have a "wasted spark" ignition system so it will have 1 pulse per revolution (i.e., it will spark on both the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke)

I have little experience with such things!. Hmmm,I thought if it did have such a system that it would be two pulses(sparks) per stroke...one spark during compression and one(wasted)during exhaust?...wouldn't that be two?. Thanks for replying so quickly!!!.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wasted Vs Non Wasted Animation

http://www.gill.co.u..._wast_spark.asp

My Trail-Tech does not have a tach. I use a Tiny Tach. My rig idles about the same. Not sure if I could tell the difference between 1400 and 1600. The idle is easy to adjust. Turn it down and see what you end up with. Runs good, starts easy, i'd say then you will end up properly adjusted. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    My Trail-Tech does not have a tach. I use a Tiny Tach. My rig idles about the same. Not sure if I could tell the difference between 1400 and 1600. The idle is easy to adjust. Turn it down and see what you end up with. Runs good, starts easy, i'd say then you will end up properly adjusted. Gerry

My trailtech is about the same size as a tiny tach.I have turned the idle down to where the tach is showing between 1350---1550 rpm's....it just sounds quite low....don't know,I'm not a seasoned wrench. Thanks for the reply's.

Frog, perhaps like me, you are a bit of a worrier. I think the idle is kind or a no-harm, no-foul issue. If it is abit high you are burning more fuel needlessly, so a long stop and go ride cost you a few cents more. As well, on a real hot day a prolonged high idle will get the engine hotter faster. Suspect a 'to-low' idle might make getting the bike going and keeping it going (off-choke) a little harder on a cold day. In my opinion, none of the situations I mentioned are deal breakers. I think as well, the idle is something you can pretty much play with and not worry about screwing up (or out). The tach, will provide you with a pretty clear picture of what you are doing. My tach has a pretty pronounced time lag between my adjustment and an 'accurate' read out. If that is the case with yours, turn a little, wait for the tach reading to stablize. With my tach, it seems the number always floats within a range of a few rpm.

I saw your post in Adv rider. You have nothing to worry about, play with it and have fun. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Mind the service manual on this one: it claims the idle should be set at about 1400rpm.

My 97 idles at around 1500-1800, depending on weather, and I don't give it much thought..
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    Frog, perhaps like me, you are a bit of a worrier. I think the idle is kind or a no-harm, no-foul issue. If it is abit high you are burning more fuel needlessly, so a long stop and go ride cost you a few cents more. As well, on a real hot day a prolonged high idle will get the engine hotter faster. Suspect a 'to-low' idle might make getting the bike going and keeping it going (off-choke) a little harder on a cold day. In my opinion, none of the situations I mentioned are deal breakers. I think as well, the idle is something you can pretty much play with and not worry about screwing up (or out). The tach, will provide you with a pretty clear picture of what you are doing. My tach has a pretty pronounced time lag between my adjustment and an 'accurate' read out. If that is the case with yours, turn a little, wait for the tach reading to stablize. With my tach, it seems the number always floats within a range of a few rpm.

I saw your post in Adv rider. You have nothing to worry about, play with it and have fun. Gerry

Worrier,yea, at times.But I also tend to want to keep machines to a spec.......if possible. Thanks for the replies.

Sponosred Links