Dead battery
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Dead battery

Dead battery

Bought a brand new interstate 12v cycle- tron battery when I bought my TW. The battery that was in it originally was dead junk. My bike started up fine for about a week with the new battery. Then it was dead one day. I put the battery on the trickle charge over night and threw the fully charged battery back on the bike the next day. Bike started fine. Come back the next day and battery is dead again! What could possibly be draining my battery?

Do you have any aftermarket accessories wire in?
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

No aftermarket wiring

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well bummer that the new battery went totally dead for some reason.

Do you have a digital meter and the knowledge to use one?

If not you can view youtube videos and learn and then get one to help you troubleshoot the issue. Or you will probably have to find someone or a shop with electronic knowledge to help you find the problem.

Sorry,

Jim
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Sometimes new batteries have bad cells. It's not that uncommon and has happened to my dad. I'd have someone with a battery tester run a test on your battery before blaming the tw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Quote Originally Posted by Deepseadan View Post
    Sometimes new batteries have bad cells. It's not that uncommon and has happened to my dad. I'd have someone with a battery tester run a test on your battery before blaming the tw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, need to fully charge that battery first, not on a trickle charger eh? A meter can do well to establish the condition of the battery after charging. Measure the voltage of the battery sitting there, no charger on it... The voltage after a 1 hr rest should be 12.6- 12.7 for Flooded wet cells. 12.7-13.+ for AGM.
    Turn on the key, do not start the bike, and measure the battery voltage. You should see above 12.4 under the load of the lights and ignition. Wait, leaving the lights/ key on... voltage should still be above 12.4.

Start the bike without the choke on... watch the battery voltage .... I should stay above 9.... Do this a couple of times and then you will know the status of your battery.

Jim
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

I ended up taking the battery back to Interstate. I left it with them to test. Turns out the brand new battery had bad cells! They replaced it right away on warranty. Glad I didn't blame my TW!
    cowboyjeff and fishguy like this.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    As I keep saying on here and on every other forum I'm on - a new AGM battery MUST BE FULLY CHARGED BEFORE FIRST USE or it will prematurely fail, often after only a few starts of the bike.
    I've had personal experience with this, have spoken to Yasua, and all the manufacturers put this in the instructions (that you never read) that come with their batteries. YOU must make sure it is charged, and not rely on the guy in the battery store who sold it to you and tells you it's good to go. And a trickle charger is just that. They put out 0.5-1.5 milliamps and are meant to slow down or prevent the slow progressive drain of a battery that comes from prolonged sitting, it is NOT meant to be a battery charger as it will take forever to bring a dead battery back up to full charge, if it ever does.
    The only way to see if a battery is good is to put it on a proper charger - one that puts out 2-4 amps for these type and size battery, and then get it load tested. Any service station or battery place or auto store or Walmart will do that for you for free because they want to sell you a new one. And when you get a new AGM replacement, just remember, if you don't fully charge it before you start your bike for the first time, you will be back in the store getting another one in a week or so. If you follow the recommended advice I just gave you, it will last many, many years instead of a week.

And those "bad cells" came from improperly or not charging it up first - user error, not a manufacturing defect.
    Last edited by mrlmd; 05-02-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    jtstdub, cowboyjeff and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    As I keep saying on here and on every other forum I'm on - a new AGM battery MUST BE FULLY CHARGED BEFORE FIRST USE or it will prematurely fail, often after only a few starts of the bike.
    I've had personal experience with this, have spoken to Yasua, and all the manufacturers put this in the instructions (that you never read) that come with their batteries. YOU must make sure it is charged, and not rely on the guy in the battery store who sold it to you and tells you it's good to go. And a trickle charger is just that. They put out 0.5-1.5 milliamps and are meant to slow down or prevent the slow progressive drain of a battery that comes from prolonged sitting, it is NOT meant to be a battery charger as it will take forever to bring a dead battery back up to full charge, if it ever does.
    The only way to see if a battery is good is to put it on a proper charger - one that puts out 2-4 amps for these type and size battery, and then get it load tested. Any service station or battery place or auto store or Walmart will do that for you for free because they want to sell you a new one. And when you get a new AGM replacement, just remember, if you don't fully charge it before you start your bike for the first time, you will be back in the store getting another one in a week or so. If you follow the recommended advice I just gave you, it will last many, many years instead of a week.

And those "bad cells" came from improperly or not charging it up first - user error, not a manufacturing defect.
    On interstate batteries website they clearly say the following-

Interstate cycle tron batteries with absorbed glass mat (agm) come from the manufacturer completely charged, sealed and ready to use. Just plug and play.

I agree on charging agm batteries before use, however, when the manufacturer says they are plug and play what are you supposed to think? We know more than them? Anyways my dad used to be a fleet supervisor for a fire district and used to deal with batteries all the time. He claims that on many many occasions batteries would come brand new with bad cells.
    cowboyjeff and Ken like this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Yuasa, as well as other manufacturers, in the instructions that come with their batteries state very clearly that they must be charged before first use or they will prematurely fail. I also have had extensive phone calls to their technical service dept about this and they say the same thing. You have no idea how long they have been sitting since they left the factory and what the state of charge is when you buy them, so you pay your money and take your choice. It is much safer to do this and then you know it is done. After you buy an AGM battery, put it on a charger for 4-6 hrs, then use it. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.
    Fred likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links