Idle issues
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Idle issues

Idle issues

My 92 I recently bought has been having idling issues. I bought it and it wouldn't even run unless it was fully choked. I pulled apart the carb and rebuilt it. Night and day difference. I replaced the boots between the carb and the engine and the air box. I also cleaned the fuel tank and added an inline filter. Today I changed the oil, filter, and spark plug. I noticed a difference but it will still only idle for about 5-10 minutes max and then dies. It seems to struggle most of that time too. I also should note I adjusted the mixture screw to the factory 2 1/2 turns out. I live in Utah around 4500 ft above sea level. Could being slightly out of mixture be the problem of this? It seems more like it's struggling for fuel than air but you would think at my elevation it would be the other way around?

More than likely your pilot jet is plugged again. One of the most common things people do is clean or rebuild their carb but don't clean or flush the fuel tank which is the source of the problems. Take your tank off and flush / wash it. I use a hose with a sprayer and flush it a bunch of times. Then take fresh gas and pour a half gallon in and swish it around. Empty the gas and let it dry out. Then change the fuel line and add a fuel filter. Clean the pilot jet again and you can at least eliminate the fuel system from the cause of the bad idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Waymore, I to live in Ut, same elevation, Both mine 89, and 91 run and idle perfect, just like Deepseadan said its most likely the Pilot Jet or the Pilot Circuit.
    When you clean that Jet you got to make sure you can not see anything when looking thru it. Both mine I could see thru them but there was a like spider web in the middle of them, I must of cleaned them 4 or 5 times before I finally pushed a small wire thru them and they ran perfect after that. I think its the Ethanol that make the web looking thing. It looked to me like it was meant to be there too.
    BkCntryCrwlr likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I just don't see how they could be the problem? I cleaned and sprayed the tank out while I was rebuilding the carb, replaced the pilot screw and jet, and the main jet and nozzle. And then I put in a new hose with an inline filter in it. I then put a brand new tank of ethanol fuel in the tank. That's why I do t see how it could possibly have gotten dirty. That's why I changed the spark plug. Maybe I need a new carb?

The other thing that causes bad idle is an air leak in the intake boot. I know you put new boots on could it still be leaking there? Or maybe check your float level. Did you over oil the air cleaner? Or is it dirty?
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

On my 91 I got a blockage in the Pilot passage Im pretty sure, I was just where your at with the same issues, I gave up on my self and took the whole bike to 2 different so called experts, both of them thought they had fixed it, no way! they just did not no how a Tw 200 purrs when its running right. I wasted a lot of money and time, I ended up buying a new Yamaha Carb.
    Now I don't even have Ethanol Gas in the same Barn as the Tw's.
    fishguy likes this.

Waymore its a good thing I don't live as close as you do to Rocky Mountain Atv, I would be in the poor house.

Oh believe me I am! I've been in there about everyday since I bought the bike!
    cowboyjeff likes this.

Did you remove the petcock assembly and clean or replace the in-tank screens? Also: "It only idles for 5 to 10 minutes"? Why do you need to have it sit and idle for so long? I either ride my TW or shut it off.
    cowboyjeff and Cornelis like this.

I did not remove the petcock. And I don't need it to sit and idle for long periods of time. But I think it should be able to of need be.
    cowboyjeff likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links