Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By EVH
  • 3 Post By EVH
  • 3 Post By RockyTFS
  • 3 Post By EVH
  • 5 Post By rbm

Thread: Fuel in Airbox

Fuel in Airbox

I have a brand new 17 tw200, has about 200 miles on it. I noticed when I went to check the air filter that there was some fuel in the bottom of the air box, nothing was pouring out but you could see it there. Could this be from not turning the petcock to off when its not in use ?
    Ken likes this.

rbm
    Yes. No offence intended but I simply can't understand why people in general don't, some refuse to, turn the petcock off. You're asking for trouble if you don't. Do yourself a favor and check the oil for gas.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Yes. No offence intended but I simply can't understand why people in general don't, some refuse to, turn the petcock off. You're asking for trouble if you don't. Do yourself a favor and check the oil for gas.
    I guess I'm not used to having a carb bike. I'll start shutting it off and I'll change the oil just just to be safe.

Thanks for the info.
    fishguy, Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you transported the bike without turning the petcock off, the jiggling will cause the float needle to let gas into the carb, where it can enter the airbox and/or the cylinder. That needle and seat should not leak on a brand new bike. But you need to change the oil anyway if you haven't done so (and for Lord's sake just clean the filter, not buy a new one!!!). I have left my petcock on many times when my bike is sitting in the garage and never had a problem....but I probably will someday.... I did have a big problem with gas pooling on the floor of the trailer once when I forgot it on a wash boarded road, though!
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 04-28-2017 at 06:49 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub, Ken and admiral like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    If you transported the bike without turning the petcock off, the jiggling will cause the float needle to let gas into the carb, where it can enter the airbox and/or the cylinder. That needle and seat should not leak on a brand new bike. But you need to change the oil anyway if you haven't done so (and for Lord's sake just clean the filter, not buy a new one!!!). I have left my petcock on many times when my bike is sitting in the garage and never had a problem....but I probably will someday.... I did have a big problem with gas pooling on the floor of the trailer once when I forgot it on a wash boarded road, though!

I did change the oil and it smelled of fuel, so lesson learned turn off the valve.
    Dryden-Tdub, Ken and admiral like this.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    I did change the oil and it smelled of fuel, so lesson learned turn off the valve.
    Glad you figured it out before a catastrophic failure! Hope everyone else dose before it bites them in the a$$. (Damn, I'm starting to sound like qwerty....)
    TW-Brian, Dryden-Tdub, Ken and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    (Damn, I'm starting to sound like qwerty....)

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links