Forks need firming up
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RockyTFS

Thread: Forks need firming up

Forks need firming up

Hi,
    New poster here. I bought a 2013 TW200 about a year ago. It only has 1,100 miles on it. No mods. Sometimes when I catch a little air at the OHV park, the front forks bottom out.
    Is there a simple way to firm them up? I'm pretty handy, but don't know the first thing about working on motorcycles.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Mean Green View Post
    Hi,
    New poster here. I bought a 2013 TW200 about a year ago. It only has 1,100 miles on it. No mods. Sometimes when I catch a little air at the OHV park, the front forks bottom out.
    Is there a simple way to firm them up? I'm pretty handy, but don't know the first thing about working on motorcycles.
    Thanks.
    Welcome to our humble home. We encourage new members to search around the site a bit before asking questions that MAY have been answered several times. No big deal just a word of encouragement. Again welcome!

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...-changing.html

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

You'll probably get some responses that include new procycle springs, raise the oil level in the front forks and emulators.

I tried raising the oil level to 125mm and didn't really notice any real change. I then decided to order the procycle .60 fork springs with the intent of doing emulators at a later time. After dropping in the springs and riding everything from the road to difficult higher speed off road I've decided not to the emulators. The forks feel so perfect that I'd hate to change it. I weigh 220ish as well. So if I were you I'd start with springs and set your oil level to 127mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mine used to bottom out all the time. The original oil level in the forks was 157mm. I raised it to 125 or 130 and they very seldom bottom out anymore.

Raising the fork oil is the cheapest thing you can do and if it work it is great! There is air trapped inside the fork tube and the air acts like a spring. As the tube collapses the air is compressed. Increase the oil and you lessen the amount of air and the faster the air pressure rises as the tube collapses. It worked great for me and only cost me a pint of fork oil. Good luck what ever you do.

BTW, at the time I weighed about 200 lbs.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

You can preload the springs by obtaining matching slugs about 1 inch long and the diameter just smaller than the inside of your forks when you remove the caps at the top.
    Be careful not to cross thread when replacing the caps with the slugs inside. It will require holding down on the spring by placing one thumb on the cap while starting the threads.
    Phelonius

”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

First thing is to get the level correct, as shown in the mentioned threads. Actually, those threads go into far more detail than most of us need. My oil levels were down around 155 mm, but what was worse, they were 15 mm different! After I got them both set at 130 mm, I never did anything else to them; they were fine for my somewhat restrained riding habits. I'm about 200 with gear. I just used a bright flashlight and a marked 1/8 wooden dowel, along with a syringe, to add some 10 wt. fork oil.
    Tweaker and lugnut like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Sponosred Links