Changing the chain and sprockets and have a couple of related questions ...
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By vanillagorilla1
  • 2 Post By Tweaker
  • 1 Post By TopPredator
  • 2 Post By RDW

Thread: Changing the chain and sprockets and have a couple of related questions ...

Changing the chain and sprockets and have a couple of related questions ...

I was hoping I'd have this done today but it looks like it'll be 5 or 6 days waiting on parts.

Is the neutral switch something that should be replaced while the the cover is off?
    If so, where is a good source to order it?

When I ordered the gasket and O-ring kit I thought it would include the shifter seal but I guess I need to order it too. Hopefully be able to order it from the same place that sells the neutral switch?

I've got the oil cooler on the bike. Where are people buying the replacement O-ring for the oil cooler? (It seems to be a bit smaller then the stock O-ring)

The outer counter shaft seal screws are frozen. I attempted to use an impact gun with a #3 tip but it didn't work and stripped the heads. Frustrating. Any suggestions besides picking up a set of screw extractors? Not even sure they would work anyway.

Thanks,
    2013 TW200---2007 XT225---2014 CB500X
    "Everyday is a school day"

I wouldnt worry about the shifter seal or the neutral switch unless you need to replace them. If you were gonna buy them and you werent gonna buy them locally Id buy from rockymountainatvmc.com. The oring for the oil cooler should be the same. I have an OEM one in my oil cooler.

When I stripped out two of those screws I just drilled the heads off, removed the plate, gently tapped on it, and backed it out with a pair of needle nose pliers.
    RDW and cowboyjeff like this.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

RDW did you use a #3 phillips or a #3 JIS bit? Just know that all screws on the TW that look like phillips are not Phillips but JIS. Japanese Industrial Standard a different head.
    RDW and cowboyjeff like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RDW View Post
    I was hoping I'd have this done today but it looks like it'll be 5 or 6 days waiting on parts.

Is the neutral switch something that should be replaced while the the cover is off?
    If so, where is a good source to order it?

When I ordered the gasket and O-ring kit I thought it would include the shifter seal but I guess I need to order it too. Hopefully be able to order it from the same place that sells the neutral switch?

I've got the oil cooler on the bike. Where are people buying the replacement O-ring for the oil cooler? (It seems to be a bit smaller then the stock O-ring)

The outer counter shaft seal screws are frozen. I attempted to use an impact gun with a #3 tip but it didn't work and stripped the heads. Frustrating. Any suggestions besides picking up a set of screw extractors? Not even sure they would work anyway.

Thanks,
    Stripped heads, frozen bolts... it's endless when working on TWs. I had no idea how many tools I would need when I started restoring my 1988 Black Widow. Here's some pictures of what I call me War Chest. Study it closely because I needed all these tools.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...ures-tips.html

IMG_7596.JPG

IMG_7600.JPG

IMG_7598.JPG

IMG_7599.JPG

Also be careful tightening the sprocket screws they strip easily. Torque is extremely important on these soft screws.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 05-03-2017 at 05:30 AM.
    jtstdub likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    RDW did you use a #3 phillips or a #3 JIS bit? Just know that all screws on the TW that look like phillips are not Phillips but JIS. Japanese Industrial Standard a different head.
    No, I used the standard number 3 even though I know it's a JIS. It seemed like a tight fit. I have a JIS hand driver, but none for the impact gun.
    That's what I get for being impatient and unprepared :-)
    jtstdub and Tweaker like this.
    2013 TW200---2007 XT225---2014 CB500X
    "Everyday is a school day"

Sponosred Links