New chain snapped...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: New chain snapped...

New chain snapped...

Just spent a boatload (comparatively) on having one shop install my new chain, sprocket tires and tubes and then bringing it to a dealership to fix all the mistakes the first shop made (not balancing, truing or beading the tires/rims right) Less then 200 miles later the JT 428x1r I purchased for the bike has snapped at the master link. Haven't decided whether to bring it to the dealer a bitch till they fix it or just do it myself. First time working with chains (one of the reasons I took it to "professionals") and a few quick questions...

Is a connecting link failure common at all? Or is there qc control problem with mater links?

Is there a difference between x1r and hdr connecting links?

What other damage should I be looking for? The bike revved up a bit but I don't think enough to damage it when the chain was lost, and my chain gaurd is bent and rubbing on the tire. After the 2 mile push home I was happy I didn't have a 500lb bike... left the headlight on while pushing for safety so now I need to charge up the battery too. Go figure my old stock chain never gave me a problem but was getting stretched.
    Ken likes this.

I think you'll find that different brands; and different styles of chain in the same brand, are different widths.
    In 40+ years, even with poor maintenance, I've never had a chain or master link fail. (maybe just lucky)
    Cycle Gear will mount a tire bought there, if you bring in the wheel and tire off the bike - but do not balance it.
    I've never had to have a wheel trued. Did you tell the 1st shop to true it; and if not, is there a charge on the bill for truing it?
    And what do you mean by "not beading the tires/rims right"?
    admiral, Ken and cowboyjeff like this.

I bet the master link failed because it wasn't put together correctly.

Fix it yourself.

Take some pictures. I would love to see it.
    admiral, 2scoops, jtstdub and 6 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

One other problem is it was possibly adjusted too tight. There is a reason for a certain amount of slack in the chain. As the suspension moves up and down the chain gets tighter and looser and if the chain is too tight it could put a lot of force on the master link.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

The bike is broke. Send it to me and I will dispose it for free.
    Elvesus, Tcruarceri, Ken and 3 others like this.
    Phelonius

I learned long ago that 1 3/8" to 2 1/8" slack is acceptable to keep from breaking a chain or putting unnecessary sress on the motor.
    Tcruarceri, Ken and cowboyjeff like this.

Sorry, this happened to you and you had to push it home. My comments would be similar to what others have already said. I'd like to see pictures too as this is the first time I've heard of a master link failure. Not put on correctly yes, but outright failure no. Have heard of some chains failing due to possible lack of chain maintenance or adjustment but not a master link.

I know this is too late, but now would be a good time to carry an extra master link. Because of what elime and others have said in the past, I carry some extra chain links and a master link which are attached to my key ring.

I'm fairly hopeful for you that things will work out for you. Hard to get over the frustration but "good times" will make this bad incident fade away. Good luck.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for the responses. I would show you a photo of the master link but it is completely gone.

Chain seemed to have proper amount of slack prior to the breakage... I did not measure it since I got the bike back but did the usually push around checking over the bike every ride or so.

Plan on tacking on a few extra links on my next Amazon order, the shop who did the work initially had tossed the spare links (and did not remove nearly enough).

The first shop mounted the tires, then called to say they could not balance them and that the rear needed to be trued b.c the spokes were coming loose. When I brought it to the dealer one of the spokes had completely fallen out so ordered a set, removed the tire and trued it. They said the front tire was mounted backwards (it's a 241, not sure if that's possible) and wasn't seated correctly (also didn't know that could be an issue on tubed tires... but I am new to bikes, chains and tubed tires in general). I have done all the small maintenance and farkles myself but figure leaving the tires/chain/sprocket to professionals was probably best.

Dealership emailed me back and will be picking up the bike tomorrow, will give it a real good look over when they return it, hopefully not with another bill.
    Ken likes this.

As others have said maybe the clip on the master link wasn't seated correct and came off. That's a red flag on the 241 it isn't directional, maybe it just wasn't seated.
    Tcruarceri, Ken and cowboyjeff like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

What I am thinking, especially since they offered to come get it with no further questions. Probably a new kid on the job or something.
    Ken, Tweaker and cowboyjeff like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links