TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Chain and sprocket recommendation

12K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  lbxr 
#1 ·
I've ignored the TW200 as I picked up both a KLR650 and DRZ400 late last summer. Broke my leg on the DRZ on the trail in February and figure it'd be a good idea to start with the TW200 again as a part of the recovery.

This thing is geared for the highway (16/50) and the chain is worn. Looking for a recommendation for specific parts from Rocky Mountain ATV (they ship fast to my area). I'm pretty much a n00b. Never had a chain off before.

I want to ride low and slow on easy trails here in Colorado. Thinking 13/50 gearing based on prior recommendations here.

From what I've read, I need the following,

- DID X-Ring chain
- 13-tooth Countershaft sprocket; Only 14-tooth available from RMATV/MC?
- Left side gasket cover #3AW-15451-03-00
- Countershaft seal?
- 50-tooth Rear sprocket
- Chain breaker tool
- Extra master link?

Can't find parts for countershaft seal or 13-tooth sprocket.

Anything else?

Thanks,
-Charles

See less See more
#2 ·
Why not just go with a 55t rear and new chain. If you need a new front sproket too then I can see the need for the case, sproket and seal.

#3 ·
Go with new sprockets when you do the DID VX 428 X ring chain with 122 links. Stock gearing is 14/50 so I would go back to the 14 front and do the 55 in the rear for the riding you mention. I am not sure with the 55 rear sprocket if you might need an extra link or 2 in the chain but other here know that answer. Always change both sprockets and the chain at the same time so they wear together. You will need a left side case gasket and be very careful when putting the cover back on to route the wires going up in the slot so they do not get pinched.

GaryL

#4 ·
......I want to ride low and slow on easy trails here in Colorado. Thinking 13/50 gearing based on prior recommendations here.
That's what I've had since day one here in Idaho with similar elevations to the Front Range. The only time I ever wanted something lower was when I was down in the San Juans and going above 12,000 a lot. 13/55 and a 122 main jet worked much better for that.

Some say a 13 is too small and will rapidly wear the chain. My experience says no: I got 10,000 miles on the first 13 and I'm still on the same DID X-ring chain at 15,000.
https://www.amazon.com/PBI-733-13-S...-13939------2-0&sr=1-12&ymm=2010:yamaha:tw200

You should not need to replace the counter shaft seal until at least that kind of mileage or if you've done lots of water and mud. But be very sure the wires have not slipped out of position before you do anything more than finger tighten the bolts! Use a bright flashlight.

I did go to a dual sprocket set-up (13/50 and 13/55) but I very rarely use it....only in the San Juans.

#5 ·
I think I had to buy a 130 length chain and shorten it to 126 for the 14-55t combo.

#6 ·
I always recommend sticking with the stock 14 tooth front sprocket simply because of the added steps we have to go through to change it. There is a gearing or sprocket calculator here somewhere and if you go to it you will see you can accomplish most of the final drive gearing by simply changing just the rear sprocket. 14/47 is pretty decent for mostly pavement while the 14/52 or 55 does pretty good for slow poking on trails. My idea of an ideal set up would be to skip the dual sprocket procedure and just buy a second rear wheel that you can switch and swap for different sprocket gearing and with different tires. You could use the same chain and front sprocket and do the switch pretty quick and easy.

That whole mess with removing the side cover to change the front sprocket or switching from one set to the other on the dual sprocket just seems pretty intensive when all it really takes is switching the rear wheels for the gearing and type of tire you need. Over the many years we have discussed this subject it has been very clear the very best overall set up is just how the TW comes from the factory with 14/50. Any changes from them are both an advantage in one terrain and a disadvantage in another. If you are just and only poking around on back roads and mild trails I think a little lower gearing would be a good set up as long as you don't need to hit 60-65 MPH for any long stretch.

Gary

#7 ·
I use the same chain for my 50 and 55 teeth sprockets. I slide the tire forward for the 55 and back for the 50. I have no idea how many links.

With the 55t on the wheel, I slid the wheel forward, installed the chain and cut it to fit. No counting was done. It was easy. BTW, 14t front sprocket with over 30,000 miles on it and ditto for the non-o-ring chain and yes, both the chain and front sprocket are starting to show some wear.

#8 ·
I have two Tw's set up with 12/55 Sprockets, They are Mountain Goats for sure. I start out in Second gear with ease. So what I have is a 4 speed with a granny.
Top speed is about 35 mph. They will go 50 mph. but they are really rapped out. Mine are Licensed off road only. I would say this is probably to low geared for most Folks.

#10 ·
#12 ·
Going from a 14/50 with 122 links to a 14/55 with 124 links should move the axle forward only about 2/10ths of an inch. I use this calculator and found it to be accurate: REBEL GEARS CUSTOM MADE MOTORCYCLE SPROCKETS ANY SIZE

So if your current axle position shows roughly 1/2 inch from fully forward, you will still have some adjustment. Remember that a new X-ring chain usually only needs one adjustment then doesn't move for thousands of miles, and in this case that will be to the rear, which would put the axle nearly in the same position as the original set-up. I would still measure the counter-shaft to axle distance and see if the calculator shows nearly that value for a 14/50 set-up. If it is off by a couple of tenths, you can use that as a fudge factor for the 14/55 set-up. Although the calculator is internally consistent, chain tension may affect the real world value a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.