• 1 Post By Maxpower
  • 3 Post By JerseyJeeper
  • 6 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Loaded

Loaded

I have a 87 TW
    I bought it with issues
    Got it running, old but tight motor, no ticks or knocks. However it seems to load up at times like an old Maico or CZ. Could be coincidence but when I turn the screw to empty the float bowl it starts running better.
    I lowered the float level. It would seem to me if they were set too high fuel would run out the over flow. I cleaned the carb with contact cleaner but it still does it. I read something about the cheapie Chinese carbs working. Are they a direct replacement or do I have to alter things like a new throttle cable. I really want to ride my ugly rusty TW.
    Ken likes this.

"I really want to ride my ugly rusty TW."... yea those 87's... lol. Might be the fastest but they are the oldest.
    There are Chinese exact copy carbs on eBay quite often, the cheapest from a scooter company in Europe. Those are an exact fit. I got a few as spares, never used them yet but others I know say they work great at sea level. At the time they were $135 new including shipping. There are others, dirt cheap, not a %100 exact fit but fitable. Search the forum on google site:www.tw200forum.com
    elime, Ken and admiral like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

One has to Mickey Mouse them on but once done they are supposed to work great.

I bet the o-ring on the float needle seat is bad and leaking. (red arrow) Just a guess......

Float.jpg
    Last edited by elime; 05-06-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I bet it is running too rich. Check the spark plug color and adjust the pilot screw.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Thanks to all. I always appreciate when someone takes the time to respond to me need for help.
    I would think that it's running rich too GaryL however the issue is erratic not all the time. If it were rich I would think it would be consistent
    And the plug is darn near white when I pull it after running fine.
    I am thinking it just may be that oring. Methanol gas is the Devil itself.
    I have a CB1000 that's useless until I spend the money to have the carbs cleaned. I'm not touching that stack of 4 carbs
    Plus I feel much safer on the TW than the CB1000. I race MX and Off-road yet I've lost my nerve riding a 100+ hp bike on the road
    The only reason I call my TW ugly is I bought it as a neglected pound puppy. It's rusty and beat up some. I think when they are fresh they grow on you. Kinda like the girl in school you first thought was funny looking but by the first report card you find her strangely hot
    Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    Thanks to all. I always appreciate when someone takes the time to respond to me need for help.
    I would think that it's running rich too GaryL however the issue is erratic not all the time. If it were rich I would think it would be consistent
    And the plug is darn near white when I pull it after running fine.
    I am thinking it just may be that oring. Methanol gas is the Devil itself.
    I have a CB1000 that's useless until I spend the money to have the carbs cleaned. I'm not touching that stack of 4 carbs
    Plus I feel much safer on the TW than the CB1000. I race MX and Off-road yet I've lost my nerve riding a 100+ hp bike on the road
    The only reason I call my TW ugly is I bought it as a neglected pound puppy. It's rusty and beat up some. I think when they are fresh they grow on you. Kinda like the girl in school you first thought was funny looking but by the first report card you find her strangely hot
    Thanks for the help
    My experience is that gal that was funny looking and now has some miles and rust is often your best bet. You just need to figure out what makes her tick! E gas is a devil IMO but sometimes all it takes is an over dose of Sea Foam to clean her pipes. The older guys here might understand these old style carbeurated engines but most of the young crowd are more in tune with fuel injected motors adjusted by some computer chip set up. All will be just fine once you get the fuel flowing fine and just about any internal issue can be the cause of the problem you describe. Start at the top in the tank and petcock and work down until you find the offender.

GaryL
    Ken likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links