Centered Handlebar
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Centered Handlebar

Centered Handlebar

Hello Guys,

I have a TW 200 1997 ^^
    My father would like to mount the disc brake on the front, he already has everything, just need to dismount the front and mount it again (we purchased a whole new front so we will completely replace the front part except for the handlebar)

My question is: since I am very sensitive to any little discrepancy (I work for a design company and I am the one that actually check the finished look of a product so You can imagine how my eyes spot every minimum difference in objects that are supposed to be symmetrical when they leave the factory for the pre-production)
    The handlebar how can I be sure that is again centered in both left/right distance and "pivot" position? As You can see the handlebar of the TW has another little handle right on top, under this little handle there are 4 screws (2 per side) that blocks the whole handlebar, how can I also be sure to match again the position of this little handlebar relative to the position of the screws under?

How can I be sure that that position will be again as fabric stock?
    Really my job is killing me for this, since my eyes will always fall there and my arms will always remind me of the bike being not perfectly centered, I am just like this

Any suggestion?
    cowboyjeff likes this.

I would like to post images but website says that my post count is too low
    cowboyjeff likes this.

Does this help?

P1140244.JPG

What is going to drive you really crazy is if your front wheel and handle bars don't make a perfect right angle. Ninety degrees exactly. Because if it is only 89 degrees your eye will see it. Your eye will be attracted to it. You won't be able to look away. It will be a curse!!!! I know !!!! Believe me I really know.
    Last edited by elime; 05-06-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Does this help?

P1140244.JPG

What is going to drive you really crazy is if your front wheel and handle bars don't make a perfect right angle. Ninety degrees exactly. Because if it is only 89 degrees your eye will see it. Your eye will be attracted to it. You won't be able to look away. It will be a curse!!!! I know !!!! Believe me I really know.
    How do You suggest me to perfectly align?

You really can't perfectly align,
    Best you can do is mark a center point on handle cross bar and align from there between the clamps.
    Tweaker, elime and cowboyjeff like this.

Your bike is 10 years old. Unless it has zero miles on it, it is unlikely that the handlebar is in the stock position. And besides, there really is no correct stock position. It just depends on where the dealer flunky happened to install them. If you are comfortable with the current position of the bars, make a small scribe mark on both the handlebar and the clamp so that you can replace them in the same position.

My other suggestion is to keep your eyes up and on the road ahead of you, and not down looking at your bars .

p.s. Another suggestion to keep your mind off your handlebars is to look at your footpegs, they are likely not lined up with each other . Don't look, don't look, don't look - I told you not to look. . . . . . . . . .

I could be remembering wrong and I threw away my stock bars, but isnt there a small punch mark to line up with the clamp slot? Im also gonna have to agree with brian although he got one thing wrong.... a 97 is 20 years old not 10, but I doubt everything is still in its original spot.
    TW-Brian and cowboyjeff like this.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

I forgot. dont forget the electrics arent gonna hook up without you fixing them. Also youre gonna have to use the new style throttle and switches on the right side. heres the critical tid bit you will need. You're gonna want to use the new throttle housing with the old cables and the old throttle tube. The old carb has a different cable ratio than the cv carb and it wont work for shit if you try and hook up a new style throttle tube to the old style carb. If you run into any more stumbling block let me know. I recently did this and I wanted to not be able to tell it was a swap so it all looks stock.
    Tweaker, Purple and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagorilla1 View Post
    I forgot. dont forget the electrics arent gonna hook up without you fixing them. Also youre gonna have to use the new style throttle and switches on the right side. heres the critical tid bit you will need. You're gonna want to use the new throttle housing with the old cables and the old throttle tube. The old carb has a different cable ratio than the cv carb and it wont work for shit if you try and hook up a new style throttle tube to the old style carb. If you run into any more stumbling block let me know. I recently did this and I wanted to not be able to tell it was a swap so it all looks stock.
    Why I would need a new throttle???

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...onversion.html - post two - “Disc brake conversion requires lower left fork leg ( fork tubes and right fork leg are all the same) front wheel with disc, master cylinder with hose, splicing of brake light switch wires (old style plug soldered to new style switch) and ideally the newer kill/starter switch. Your starter button will end up pointing downward with the old style.” - lizrdbrth

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...onversion.html - post two - “in terms of parts you'll need the following: Left lower fork leg (rights are all the same, earlier is better cuz it some still had drain plugs). Caliper
    Front wheel w/disc.
    Master cylinder and brake hose.

Starter/kill switch from post-'01 TW (optional). If you use your existing switches the starter button will be pointing toward the ground due to the master cylinder and throttle cable locations. More of an inconvenience than it is a complete nuisance, but worth doing.

You'll need to splice the plugs from your early model brake switch onto the master cylinder brake switch because the later switches are a larger diameter.” - lizrdbrth

So – the implication is that when you try to use the old throttle assembly with the new brake gear, either it all gets in the way, or you’ll end up with most of the switch gear pointing to the ground. On the post 2001 bikes the cable guides lead from the top, on pre 2001 they come out from the front.

What vanillagorilla1 is saying, is that in addition to this, if you use the new throttle type with the new throttle tube, the newer tube it messes up the gearing for the cables to the older style carb – so – newer throttle, older tube and you’ll be fine ……
    Last edited by Purple; 05-07-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links