Sort of stranded on the road. Assistance?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Sort of stranded on the road. Assistance?

Battery STONE dead while out for a ride...

Out for a sweet ride today, mostly road. Stopped by the new high school just outside of town. Empty parking lot, shut it off to have a stretch. Got back on...it's 100% electrically dead. No lights, no horn, no nothing.
    Checked the obvious, gave it a 3rd gear shove and it starts. Okay. That's good news....
    I went all over everything I can think of and I can't find anything wrong. Battery terminals are tight, can't fiND any broken wires, there are 2 20 amp fuses. Botherwise are good. (Not even sure if one is a spare...but whatever...)
    I'm pretty new to the city streets in the bike and although it runs, I'd hate to stall it....and also the lights work but the tail/brake flashes with the signals and so on...indicating that my battery is dead. Or that there's an open somewhere so the battery is like it's not connected.
    Anyway....I'm going to make my way to the store down the road a ways and stop there. Maybe....or I might just take it as a warning and keep heading for home and hope that the other drivers know what hand signals are.
    Any suggestions besides checking what I've already checked?
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 05-07-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Ken and centralwarider like this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    It's most likely your main fuse. Even if it looks good, take it out and inspect it well. Sometimes it's just a bad connection and going in and out gets better contact. Yes, the other is the spare. Use it if you choose. It is wise to replace them occasionally anyway since oxidation and vibration can degrade them.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Thanks..I'll check that out. I made it home, so now time for a little head scratching.....
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    What you describe has happened to me last year after stopping for lunch out on the trail. I have a kicker though, so after a kick I was off. While investigating, I looked at the main fuse in the holder. Looked good. Pulled it out to look closer, yup good. Put it back, and everything worked normally again. My conclusion was that oxidation and vibrations gave me a poor connection. Been fine since.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Well it's good that it runs.... You will be able to start it but running and popping the clutch is not much fun... We all need to practice it, well those of us that do not have a kick start. I think 3rd gear works best for me...

This just happened to me on my little 150 scooter... Walked into the hardware store to get something, came out, DEAD! No lights nothing... I had only kick started it a couple of times and it was easy so I did it and the little Scoot fired right up. Got home, Had to field strip it, ugggg all the plastic covers to find a broken battery negative ground lead....

Field stripped
    0501171838.jpg

Now this is a lot of screws!!!
    0501171837c.jpg

Where the ground/Neg lead attaches, down in the bowels of the engine..

0501171837a.jpg
    Last edited by jtstdub; 05-07-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Wow Jtsdub, that is a lot of screws. Without the proper tools you are screwed.0501171837c.jpg
    Ken and joeband like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Okay, so. I have a belly full of spaghetti and am ready to do battle...

It's either not charging, or my battery is toast. I put a test light on it and it won't even light it up. yup, that's DEAD....
    I swapped it for my original wet cell, ta-da, I'm back in business.

BUT....I'm figuring my battery is dead because it quit charging and I didn't notice and kept driving around and having a grand old time while it ran my battery dead and then continued to run on...stator-only power.

I'm going with the odds here and figuring that since I have a brand new AGM battery, it's likely not the culprit....but never say never.....
    I know, "Throw a volt meter on and see if it's charging..." Yeah, It broke a while back and I haven't bought a new one. Princess Auto (that's our Harbour Freight) closed a couple hours ago so I'll pick one up after work.

And, I have a pretty good battery maintainer that does a little check before it start to charge and I've tried to charge hoop-a-jooped batteries in the past and it just turned up its nose and did nothing. I put my AGM on the charger and it's happily charging away.

Any tricks (without a volt meter) to tell if it's charging? Likely unhooking the battery while it's running is not advisable....?

I remember just reading a post saying that sealed batteries need to be charged before use or they'll crap out on like the 4th or 5th ride..... Honestly, I read that and thought, "yeah..sure..".......sorry, whoever posted that. If my new battery crapped out because I didn't give it 3 amps right out of the box, well...hmmm.

So, common sense would tell me that it's not charging and that if I was to go out and ride with the wet cell in there, it would get sucked dry and I'd be back in the same boat....only with 2 dead batteries this time. I'm going to give my new battery a little while on the charger and then put it back in...(I know, it won;t be charged properly...) but if it starts it, I pretty much know I have a no-charge issue. bah.

Ken
    If it's still running chances are it is charging. I would say it's a bad battery. Get the meter out. Most bikes get power from the battery as it is being charged. If the battery is dead and no charge I would say you would be stuck. Recently my voltage regulator on my Radian was bad which drained my battery, caused it to backfire and left me stranded. I swapped regulators jumped it and off I rode even though the battery was still dead.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

The bike is broke. Just send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you free.
    Phelonius

@Ken Yes, I kind of never clued in until you said it.... I got home, took the seat off and put a test light on the battery, nothing. So given that I was able to drive it home, it had to be charging.

It's funny...the factory battery was working okay, but it was a few years old and I figured since I was always going to be out alone, it made sense to buy a brand new AGM battery for peace of mind... And then it fails in a month. Maybe....
    Ken likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links