Help: Handlebar bolts/spacers for handguards?
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Tweaker
  • 3 Post By RockyTFS
  • 1 Post By Fred

Thread: Help: Handlebar bolts/spacers for handguards?

Help: Handlebar bolts/spacers for handguards?

Hey all,

I ordered these handguards, the WPS set in YZ Blue:

https://www.amazon.com/Fly-Racing-Of.../dp/B0050C4IMY

Having trouble with fitment. The spreader bolt that goes in the end of the handlebar is very small diameter, and even with the clear vinyl spacer they include it's nowhere nearly big enough to clamp into the handlebar tube.

What did y'all use for a spreader bolt or spacer so these could be tightened down?

I am running the stock handlebar. Do I need an aftermarket bar like a ProTaper ATV bar, would that have a smaller inside diameter?

Thanks!
    2013 TW200 - Stock for now, but I am a habitual mod addict Hidden Content
    2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon - Too many mods to list. Hidden Content
    2005 Honda CBR600RR - Salvage track bike project, will be for sale at some point...
    Past: 2001 Ducati 900SS - Solo seat cowl, red with white numberplates, carbon fender and hugger, carbon high-mount pipes. Miss it dearly some days.

Aluminum bars have a much thicker wall than the same size (7/8" OD) steel bars.

I installed those exact guards for a friend on her crf125.
    The vinyl tube is for use with the steel bars. It will spread a LOT on the end. And I found wrapping the outboard end of the vinyl tube with some electrical tape until it's snug in the bar helps a lot with wobble. But yes, even with the vinyl tube it's pretty loose in there before you start tightening them down.
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 05-08-2017 at 10:18 AM.

I bought the other economy guards, the D-Flex brand. I think around the same price or maybe cheaper on Amazon. Based on the reviews by a lot of folks here on the Forum.
    No fitment problems or additional hardware needed for the stock TW handlebars. Because the one's you bought as well as the D-Flex fit a lot of different bikes sometimes you have to do a little modding, not unheard of. Your description reminds me of the same problem I had years ago with a generic set I added to my KLR.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Be careful riding with those handguards. Those are chinese copies of Acerbis guards and there are reports of the bars being cast aluminum which can crack when dropped, etc instead of bending. The plastic may be weaker too and crack easier. I think geniune Aserbis hand guards have an extruded or forged aluminum bar and the plastic is a nylonpoly blend that is pretty strong. After you get yours installed let us know how they work out. People wouldn't mind having a lower cost alternative if they work good.

You could try looking for rubber fuel hose or heater hose with thicker wall or find more vinyl hose in a bigger size. Slit it length wise and double it up if necessary to fill up the space.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-08-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    Fred likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I see that it does expand quite a bit, so before tightening, yes, it looks quite loose. I should have added: I tried tightening them, and even with the vinyl tube on there they don't expand nearly enough to snug up. I picked up a couple different materials to try from the hardware store, but the first couple weren't secure. They expanded enough that it wasn't rattling around, but they never tightened enough to resist rotation or deflection of the handguard. Would be useless in a tipover, as the handguard would just twist out of the way.
    2013 TW200 - Stock for now, but I am a habitual mod addict Hidden Content
    2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon - Too many mods to list. Hidden Content
    2005 Honda CBR600RR - Salvage track bike project, will be for sale at some point...
    Past: 2001 Ducati 900SS - Solo seat cowl, red with white numberplates, carbon fender and hugger, carbon high-mount pipes. Miss it dearly some days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Be careful riding with those handguards. Those are chinese copies of Acerbis guards and there are reports of the bars being cast aluminum which can crack when dropped, etc instead of bending.....
    I've had those Western Power Sports hand-guards on my bike for 15,000 miles and MANY drops. Maybe the newer ones aren't as good as the old ones although they look the same. I also never had any problem with the spreader bolt either.

What I DID have, which was rather embarrassing last month, was a bolt that fell out of the left side bar clamp because I had never tightened them since new 6 years ago. I'm tooling down the 4 lane at 60 mph when I feel something hit my knee and the next thing I know the guard has rotated all the way down to the 6 o'clock position. I finally had a use for that safety wire I had been carrying around for 15,000 miles!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

All those cheap Chinese Acerbis clones seem to come with the same disappointing mounting hardware. Western Power Sports is one of several American importers that re-sell them with ~100% mark-up but they are still the same product available from a dozen or more Chinese vendors for under $30 on Amazon and e-bay. Better mounting hardware kits are available but they also will set you back over $30 from the few adds I have seen. My similar Chinese clones had all the above problems from loose initial install to shedding fasteners, rotating at speed, and ultimately a shattered frame when I finally tipped Betty Boop over.
    I was very happy to toss the remains in a garbage can and enjoy the quality hardware that accompanied my $55 replacement Tusk D-Flex guards.
    My other bike came with a clone of the clone of the dated Acerbis design, totally plastic with no metal core. One broke in two when bike fell over in the garage.
    Tweaker likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links