turn signal, right rear, "quick" flashing, good bulb
Close

flybill59
    wondering if this is a common problem, if there's a known diagnosis.

my right (i'm standing in front of the bike, facing the bike, my right hand side) rear turn signal doesn't flash at all, on the instrument cluster the turn signal indicator is flashing quickly (indicating the bulb is blown) but it's a brand new bulb. i've swapped the bulbs between the left and right side, the bulbs work in the left side but not in the right side. further trying to diagnose this problem, i disconnected the wires (under the "cargo storage area"), first the right side, just to see if that did anything, didn't. disconnected the other wire to see if that did anythnig, nothing, then disconnected BOTH wires and not only did it do nothing to the signal that's not worknig but it didn't stop the left signal from flashing. this i couldn't understand, how come when i disconnected both wires the left signal continued to flash?! well, so, anyhow, wondering if this is a common problem and there's a well known fix (without me having to strip down ALL the wiring harnesses to find a short or something) or, if not a known problem could someone help diagnose this problem?

What do the fronts do? Flasher unit shot? Corrosion in the light socket? Nicked or torn loose wires? Do you have a multimeter? Start at the light socket and check for voltage and work your way back the harness. You may have a short in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by flybill59 View Post
    wondering if this is a common problem, if there's a known diagnosis.

my right (i'm standing in front of the bike, facing the bike, my right hand side) rear turn signal doesn't flash at all, on the instrument cluster the turn signal indicator is flashing quickly (indicating the bulb is blown) but it's a brand new bulb. i've swapped the bulbs between the left and right side, the bulbs work in the left side but not in the right side. further trying to diagnose this problem, i disconnected the wires (under the "cargo storage area"), first the right side, just to see if that did anything, didn't. disconnected the other wire to see if that did anythnig, nothing, then disconnected BOTH wires and not only did it do nothing to the signal that's not worknig but it didn't stop the left signal from flashing. this i couldn't understand, how come when i disconnected both wires the left signal continued to flash?! well, so, anyhow, wondering if this is a common problem and there's a well known fix (without me having to strip down ALL the wiring harnesses to find a short or something) or, if not a known problem could someone help diagnose this problem?

I wonder if both turn lights use the same relay. If not maybe thats the problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Check the connections for the turn signal under the rear fender. The turn signals are designed to removed and replaced fairly easily so Yamaha used these small push-type connectors which sometimes work their way loose. If those check-out OK get a test light and verify that you have power at the lamp socket. Good luck!

--Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

flybill59
    hey guys, thanks for your help.

i should've posted yesterday. i worked it out. really happy i got the turn signal thing figured out. not only that but my stop lamp wasn't working right either. i wasn't able to ride my TW and was jonsing.

turns out... a couple weeks ago i had WHACKED the left turn signal backing out of the garage, on the side of the garage door. i didn't put that together with what was going on. i broke the lens and epoxied it back together. then i had this intermittant fast flash problem. it would come and go, finally i replaced the bulb and thought it was fixed. then it started happening again. a couple days ago i finally got around to dealing with it. i started taking the bike apart to get a clear view of the wiring. i thought i must've somehow pinched and shorted a wire somewhere along the harness. thanks to shadow for mentioning "multimeter". i was poking and prodding the various connections. this actually took HOURS. i'm slipping. it's scary. i think i'm not as sharp as i used to be. i think i diagnosed the problem to... inside the bulb holder/socket thing, there's a fiber disc with a brass nugget, the positive connection for the bulb, i think somehow that disc got turned (a little/a lot) sideways, i think probably from the impact (pulling/stretching the wire) from when i WHACKED the turn signal. i believe that was it. all i had to do was to re-set that disc's position. oh, and the stop signal, that was from when i was poking and prodding, i disconnected the wires and (DUH) didn't reinstall them in their proper relative positions.

i gobbed all the connections with dielectric grease. i wonder if you guys do that.

one gripe i had, teh plastic rear tail fender piece thingy, it's held on by some bolts from the underside but it has captive nuts on the top, some water got i there and rusted the nuts. the captive nuts are only held captive by the plastic moulding adn they spun when i tried to remove the bolts. very frustrating. i had to grind the head off one of the bolts to get the bolt off (while i was blowing compressed air onto the top of the bolt to keep the bolt from heating up so much it MELTED the plastic. i reinstalled stainless steel bolts and nuts so it wouldn't happen again.

that's my "short story long" version.

Sponosred Links