It's About Bloody Time!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: It's About Bloody Time!

It's About Bloody Time!

So I picked up my frame and bits and pieces from the painters yesterday and I am going to start putting everything together. Picked up my rebuilt motor and hate coming to work knowing that I could be at home building my beast. I will be using the best pieces from the '98 and the '90 parts bike I picked up and will be waking up at 4am every morning to piece this baby together so I can spend my time with the wife and kid after work....it has been over a year since I purchased my basketcase and very excited to put her back together. I do have a quick question before I start piecing everything together though. I have 2 shocks...the yellow 98 that has oil all over it - not sure if its the shock, oil from the old chain or from the leaky case gasket, or the white '90 that looks dry but could use new thrust covers. Or I have found a banshee shock for $30 but would need a rebuild which costs $75.

IMG_0217[1].JPGIMG_0219[1].JPGIMG_0221[1].JPG

Which option should I go with?
    Last edited by DrTerrible; 05-25-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    Ken likes this.

Go to the thread "RED REAR SPRING". There is photos posted by TW Brian showing the old and new style shocks. I believe both of your shocks are the old ones but can't really see from your pics. If they are the old style I would not bother with either of them.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Go to the thread "RED REAR SPRING". There is photos posted by TW Brian showing the old and new style shocks. I believe both of your shocks are the old ones but can't really see from your pics. If they are the old style I would not bother with either of them.

GaryL
    Excellent point!!!! Maybe use the old dry one until you can find a reasonably priced better one. Shocks are easy to change. Or there was something about a shock recall in Canada -- maybe exchange an old shock for a new shock? Something worth looking into.

I have a picture of the difference:

P2261273.JPG
    Last edited by elime; 05-26-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    Ken likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

From the stickers, it looks like i have a new and an old one. Was doing some research on the site and looking into the VTR1000 swap...can get them for $70CAD on ebay. Thanks for the info elime, I will check into the recall and see what happens.

Edit: Just checked and 1987 - 2000 have recalls. Going to get in touch with a dealership and see what they say.

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall.../7749r-eng.php
    Last edited by DrTerrible; 05-26-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    elime and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTerrible View Post
    From the stickers, it looks like i have a new and an old one. Was doing some research on the site and looking into the VTR1000 swap...can get them for $70CAD on ebay. Thanks for the info elime, I will check into the recall and see what happens.

Edit: Just checked and 1987 - 2000 have recalls. Going to get in touch with a dealership and see what they say.

- Recalls and safety alerts
    Look at the picture posted by Elime. The left shock has the lower mount as an integral part of the entire lower section and is a one piece mold. The right shock has the lower mount welded to the lower section and before the weld it was 2 pieces and this is the one that fails. I think all TW prior to 2000 had the old welded lower mount.

GaryL
    DrTerrible and Ken like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Look at the picture posted by Elime. The left shock has the lower mount as an integral part of the entire lower section and is a one piece mold. The right shock has the lower mount welded to the lower section and before the weld it was 2 pieces and this is the one that fails. I think all TW prior to 2000 had the old welded lower mount.

GaryL
    I'm sure you're 100% right that both are the old shocks. I don't think the previous owner of the 98 did an oil change let alone change the shock out so I fired an email to a few dealerships in my area.

One dealership came back $973.94 for both shocks.
    Ken likes this.

Called a different dealership and gave them the VIN numbers...1 they are going to order for no charge...the other VIN is not coming up on the system so he was wondering if it was purchased in the states. He is going to look into it though. If not then I will do the VTR swap with that spring.

Thanks for the tip elime! PM me your email address and i will send a gift through PayPal for you to have some Molson Canadian, Labatt Blue and/or Canadian Club...on me!

Jim
    Ken, Dryden-Tdub and elime like this.

Called a different dealership and gave them the VIN numbers...1 they are going to order for no charge...the other VIN is not coming up on the system so he was wondering if it was purchased in the states. He is going to look into it though. If not then I will do the VTR swap with that spring.

Thanks for the tip elime! PM me your email address and i will send a gift through PayPal for you to have some Molson Canadian, Labatt Blue and/or Canadian Club...on me!

Jim
    Take the Labatt's Elime, my favorite beer and enjoying one as I type.

GaryL
    DrTerrible and Ken like this.

Jim
    Not necessary. I hate to admit this in public because people think something is wrong but I don't drink. However thank you very much for the offer. Besides, if I hadn't tipped you off to the recall someone else would have.
    Ken, Tweaker, admiral and 5 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Well thanks for that nugget of info...it helped out a lot. Thank you too GaryL!
    Last edited by DrTerrible; 05-27-2017 at 06:40 AM.
    Ken likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links