Replacing handlebars
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Replacing handlebars

Replacing handlebars

I stopped by Cycle Gear when I was in town today and for the first time had hands on with Protaper SE highs. I liked the ergonomics and was curious what you guys rave about so I bought them. I have never replaced bars before.

Is the process as simple as unbolting components and moving them to the new bar? Are there any safety considerations that I should be aware of? Any different cable routing needed? I don't want to screw anything up.

My TW is at the dealership for carb servicing, and I called to ask what they would charge to install the bars for me while it's there and they want $88....I figure I can do it myself instead with yall's help! Any advice would be appreciated! Jason
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
    I stopped by Cycle Gear when I was in town today and for the first time had hands on with Protaper SE highs. I liked the ergonomics and was curious what you guys rave about so I bought them. I have never replaced bars before.

Is the process as simple as unbolting components and moving them to the new bar? Are there any safety considerations that I should be aware of? Any different cable routing needed? I don't want to screw anything up.

My TW is at the dealership for carb servicing, and I called to ask what they would charge to install the bars for me while it's there and they want $88....I figure I can do it myself instead with yall's help! Any advice would be appreciated! Jason
    It is exactly as easy as unbolting everything and then bolting it back on to the new bars. You will need a new set of grips, a razor knife, a can of hairspray and whatever tools are required for the removal of the old bars. 25 minutes max plus 12 hours for the grips to dry and set.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Great thanks Tom! I just needed some peace of mind before diving in.
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
    Great thanks Tom! I just needed some peace of mind before diving in.
    Just did my second set. If you have any questions we have answers.

Tom
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Installing the new bars should be pretty straightforward. There should be sufficient length with the stock cables and brake line, however you may need to remove a few cable ties to ensure that you have enough slack when the bars are rotated to full lock left and right.

The stock throttle assembly has a small protrusion that fits into a hole in the stock handlebar. The Protapers do not have this hole. Most guys do what I did, and just file, or grind this nub off. This does not cause any problems and can help things by allowing the throttle assembly to be more freely positioned as needed on the bars.

I usually slip the controls and switches, onto the bars, before putting the bars in the clamps and tightening them at all. Also the small nub does a job. But they are more of a problem than a help to me. Because they limit the position of the controls and hold them hard in place when you fall which makes it more likely you break you levers. I always get rid of them, stock or new bars. Just take your time and watch the cable routing. There should be no issues with only higher bars.
    Ken likes this.

I bought a pair of McFly handlebar from Cycle Gear for $20. I like them because they are higher and narrower than the stock bars. Narrower is better because it is easier to get through tight places using them.
    socalnative, admiral and Ken like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I bought a pair of McFly handlebar from Cycle Gear for $20. I like them because they are higher and narrower than the stock bars. Narrower is better because it is easier to get through tight places using them.
    I most likely have the same pair. The downside is they do not accommodate handguards well at all. They are nice when your trailblazing though.

Tom

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Ken likes this.

I bought the ProTaper Mid bars. The are exactly a 1 3/4 inch increase in height to the stock bars. I had to cut off the bars to the first mark to allow Bark Busters to fit properly. Easy with a Sawzall and a file to square up the cut. I use a air compressor with a Air gun to blow off and on the Grips.

IMG_7908.JPG
    jbfla and Ken like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Thanks for the useful info guys. I don't have an air compressor so I guess I'll just have my girlfriend blow them off and on.
    Ken likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links