• 3 Post By elime
  • 2 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By chuckgarrett
  • 3 Post By phelonius
  • 1 Post By socalnative

Thread: Adding sections of chain....

Adding sections of chain....

Flame suit - ON

Okay. Had a non-o-ring stock length chain because that's what was under the Christmas tree this December. The statements concerning there being no value in a non-o-ring chain are 100% correct. Ride, adjust, ride, adjust, ride, adjust....
    So I sprung for a new set of sprockets (got a 45 rear) and a new 120-link o-ring chain.

Here's the stupid question. Can I.. okay, well, I know I CAN, but is there any reason I can't....hack a few links out of my relatively new non-o-ring chain, and add a 2nd master link so I can add the 'extension' and throw the 50-tooth sprocket back on if I'm going out for a weekend of slow running.

Some will want to chime in "Just leave one or the other and forget it"...that's not me...just the way I am, I like fiddling with stuff like that.

I'm not worried about having 2 master links....if they're installed properly, they're not really a high failure item. Some people have lost a master link, others say they've broken chains before but never at a master link...so, whatever...

In my head, the only issue would be that the small section of chain would have a tiny bit more stretch than the rest....and I mean TINY. As far as o-ring vs non-o-ring, the physical differences are just the O-rings and they're riding along outside of the areas that mesh with the sprocket teeth....so as far as riggin' touchin' other riggin'...it's all the same (except for the different amount of stretch in the small section I'll be adding in)....

Thoughts?
    admiral likes this.

Others have done this with no problems.
    admiral likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Just do it and don't worry about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thinking too much....check. LOL
    admiral and littletommy like this.

This would not be the first time this solution has been used successfully.
    Even though the different widths of the O-ring master link vs. the non-O-ring master link may allow the indexing of the non o-ring links to be not perfectly centered for each revolution of the chain the potential for some incremental accelerated wear on the sprockets does seem minimal. If the chain/sprocket does not make any annomolous sounds as the transition from o-ring to non o-ring passes over the sprockets I would not worry.
    admiral, elime and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I use the same chain for 50 and 55 tooth sprockets. It would probably be the same with 45 and 50. The rear wheel is adjusted all the way forward or towards the rear depending on the sprocket.

I have a non-o-ring chain with over 30K miles on it and it is still being used.

A mix of o-ring and non-ring chain and master links. This setup is in use 100% of the time.

P1220017a.jpg
    Last edited by elime; 06-06-2017 at 08:35 AM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by GCFishguy View Post
    Flame suit - ON

Okay. Had a non-o-ring stock length chain because that's what was under the Christmas tree this December. The statements concerning there being no value in a non-o-ring chain are 100% correct. Ride, adjust, ride, adjust, ride, adjust....
    So I sprung for a new set of sprockets (got a 45 rear) and a new 120-link o-ring chain.

Here's the stupid question. Can I.. okay, well, I know I CAN, but is there any reason I can't....hack a few links out of my relatively new non-o-ring chain, and add a 2nd master link so I can add the 'extension' and throw the 50-tooth sprocket back on if I'm going out for a weekend of slow running.

Some will want to chime in "Just leave one or the other and forget it"...that's not me...just the way I am, I like fiddling with stuff like that.

I'm not worried about having 2 master links....if they're installed properly, they're not really a high failure item. Some people have lost a master link, others say they've broken chains before but never at a master link...so, whatever...

In my head, the only issue would be that the small section of chain would have a tiny bit more stretch than the rest....and I mean TINY. As far as o-ring vs non-o-ring, the physical differences are just the O-rings and they're riding along outside of the areas that mesh with the sprocket teeth....so as far as riggin' touchin' other riggin'...it's all the same (except for the different amount of stretch in the small section I'll be adding in)....

Thoughts?
    Like you said, there will be naysayers but I like TW-Brians answer.

I have intermixed between the two for a short distance once before. I think mine was the way you're doing it, a non 0-ring small section with main o-ring chain. I think I tried using an o-ring section is a non-o-ring but it didn't fit.

P.S. I'm still alive to talk about it too!
    elime and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I see it done on farm equipment all the time. Farmers change the sprockets, depending on crop, and they add or remove the chain sections to accommodate the size of the sprockets.
    littletommy likes this.

And the T dub being basically agricultural equipment, ( pull plow, haul wagon, skid logs, herd livestock, etc. ) it should be no problem.
    Phelonius

It won't be a problem. But I'd make sure I get a masterlink from the same chain manufacturer and model of chain. They are not all exactly alike. But with the limited power of the TW different masterlinks probably won't be a problem.
    littletommy likes this.

Sponosred Links