Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Change Sprocket

Change Sprocket

Hello Guys,

I have a Yamaha TW 200, year 1996 or 1997
    I would like to change the rear sprocket from 50 to 45
    I live in Italy so IDK how much I can find online
    Can You suggest me which exact model I have to purchase?
    I guess the "kit" must have the front and rear sprocket and the chain right?

Can You point me with a specific model or maybe something I can purchase from Italy?
    The shops we use are ebay.it and amazon.it
    sprocket in Italian is "corona" and tooth is "denti"

I hope someone can help me with this ^^

EDIT: forgot to mention, the front one is 14
    So I guess I have the "stock" sprockets 14/50
    I would like to get 14/45
    Last edited by jannaruto; 06-07-2017 at 12:47 AM.

littletommy likes this.

Go here to figure out which year your bike is. https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...ollection.html
    But keep in mind these are pictures of the US models and might not match up with the EU ones.

What is your reason for going to a 45 rear sprocket? You will go only a little faster at top speed but lose the low end power for riding the trails. 14/50 is stock and your TW should cruise easily at 55 MPH with this gearing.

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket42 View Post
    I am sorry but I don't speak a single word of German haha
    How do I order on that website?
    If I order the rear sprocket let's say 45, the "package" will already include a new front sprocket 14 and a new chain?
    Can You guide me a bit please? ^^'

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Go here to figure out which year your bike is. https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...ollection.html
    But keep in mind these are pictures of the US models and might not match up with the EU ones.

What is your reason for going to a 45 rear sprocket? You will go only a little faster at top speed but lose the low end power for riding the trails. 14/50 is stock and your TW should cruise easily at 55 MPH with this gearing.

GaryL
    I am a fairly light guy so the low end power is not a problem, also I don't really do any trial
    IMHO the 45 one in the back is the most balanced compromise so I don't have to always "pull the engine" with very high RPM in 5th to have a decent speed on the highways

Quote Originally Posted by jannaruto View Post
    I am a fairly light guy so the low end power is not a problem, also I don't really do any trial
    IMHO the 45 one in the back is the most balanced compromise so I don't have to always "pull the engine" with very high RPM in 5th to have a decent speed on the highways
    Very interesting! Our TWs here don't have a 5th gear but we are all always looking for it. I think it is possible the Japan/EU TWs could have 5 speeds but don't know that for sure. The 200 CC engine is very short on power so a 45 in the rear might be OK on flat roads but not here in the mountains I live in.

Never mind! This was before my morning coffee

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 06-08-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Gary, 5th is located one click up from 4th.

I think 14-47 is a little better compromise. 45 is just a little too tall and you might even lose top speed on moderate hills. If you were going to only ride on road I would look for a more powerful motorcycle.
    And I think Gary means 6th gear...
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GCFishguy View Post
    Gary, 5th is located one click up from 4th.
    YUP! But I was not quite in 1st gear when I made that stupid post. My last manual shift truck was a 4 speed and I was always wishing for a 5th gear. On my TWs they too are missing the last or 6th gear.

GaryL

I couldn't resist, GaryL!!! hehe I almost said you should have bought a Canadian model...ours have 5 gears so they work correctly with the metric system.....

I don't have a lot of time on my 45-tooth rear (Sunday's ride and last night) but so far I'm liking it. Went out for my ride yesterday after work, to get to where I was meeting someone you can either jig-jog through town or take the divided highway that does a 3/4 circle around the city. The speed limit is 100km/h and with the 45 I had no trouble doing 100-105 for the 4 or 5 minutes I needed to be on it. There are time in town, and where I fish, that I can jump on the highway for 4-5 minutes to get to the next area, or I can take a 15-20 minutes detour to get to the same place. If I'm out for a ride, I'd take the detour...but if I'm going to a fishing spot or something, it's really nice to be able to jump on the highway for a few minutes and not be causing problems because I'm slower than traffic.

Sunday was a challenging trail (to say the least) and I did notice that 1st was now higher than I would have liked it. My clutch spoke up and said, "It's gettin' hot in here, I'm not working again until you give me a break..." This was a trail that , in hindsight, I had no business trying to drive ANYTHING through...but I was quite a way in, you weigh the options, and meh....chalk it up as a learning experience.
    Last night was an average trail, no problems and was not wishing for a lower 1st gear.

So my experience so far, for my purposes, a 45 is working out nicely.
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 06-08-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links