TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

FlyWheel Bolt

Tags
flywheel
3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  elime 
#1 ·
Does any one know how to remove flywheel without special tool

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Figure out the internal threads in the flywheel. Then get a bolt/screw with the same od threads and thread it in. Should work just like a flywheel tool. You might have a problem, keeping the crank from turning, while removing the flywheel bolt and also while tightening the bolt or tool if you don't have an impact gun.

I'd resist the prying and tapping method the case halves are soft and you don't want to scar them and end up with oil leaks or worse.

#4 ·
You will still need something to stop the flywheel from turning but once you have the centre (center :) ) bolt out you can screw the rear axle bolt into the flywheel and it will pull it off 

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Secure the engine from turning and remove the center bolt (or centre bolt he he) as noted by buellzebub. Easiest to use an impact wrench (air or electric) will really make it easy. Way easy.

You can then use your rear axle as the actual flywheel removal tool (or take the rear axle in and match the threads to a short bolt with the same thread as the rear axle).

Again, an impact wrench will make it way easy. Oh, and you'll have to go clockwise like your tightening the bolt but this is really pulling it off the cone shaped thingy underneath.

If you can't secure the engine from turning (i.e. you removed too much stuff already and no way to put the engine in gear to keep it from turning), you could use the proper tool which looks something like this.

You don't want to use improper tools to try and keep the flywheel from turning. It worked for me but I highly don't recommend my method. I made the mistake of tearing the engine down too far before trying to remove the flywheel.

#16 ·
cam wheel and flywheel are same torque setting, hold the cam wheel still and crack the flywheel bolt, you might be unlucky and the cam loosens first, you can put a bar through a hole on the cam wheel to lock it, but go steady,

you might find it easier with 2 people. with a lump hammer whack the socket on the flywheel bolt and it should open, (improvised impact wrench)

#11 ·
elime's post put's a visual to my written words. :D For the record, I did mention going to a store to obtain a bolt in my first post so you don't have to use the rear axle. Saying "take it in" was/is missing the word "store". If everyone got better a reading my mind I wouldn't have to type as much. I just hate going into town for a tool or part as we don't live that close to town. However, living a fair distance out of town does give me the excuse to ride the TW or drive the MG into town after parts. ...and maybe a side trip to Dairy Queen for a large, I mean small, wait I mean large Oreo Blizzard.

#13 · (Edited)
I got the part of Admiral's post about the impact wrench making it easier but the part about getting a bolt from the store must must have been absorbed in a subliminal way and then re-posted in an unintentional act of plagiarism.

Oh well, I think I will go to Harbor Freight and look at impact wrenches. Maybe they have a really cheap one I can buy.

Reactions: Ken
#18 ·
#19 ·
The pitch is odd. I looked at Ace Hardware and they had the correct size bolt but wrong pitch plus they cost as much as the actual tool which is on ebay. Cheap way as stated above is use your axle bolt. Also as stated above, use an impact if possible. In order not to ruin your axle bolt, lots of oil on it. I had to screw it in and back it out about 5 times and then it popped right off. Probably not recommended but I either just left it in gear or ran a bolt, screwdriver or something through the flywheel hole. I don't remember on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.