Carb issue / theories welcome
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Carb issue / theories welcome

Carb issue / theories welcome

I need some advice thoughts on a carb issue.

Bike is a 1994 California emmissions bike that is new to me. It didn't run perfectly when I got it for my wife so I put a carb kit in it. I also blocked off the line that goes to the Cali canister.

Long story short:

Bike starts right up but runs like its running out of gas for the first 15 minutes. Very off and on when on the throttle steady. After the first 15 minutes it finally cleans up and runs perfectly. There is absolutely no smoke. Runs essentially the same way whether choke is open or not. With it taking this long to run right it has basically made it unrideable as a daily use bike. We trail ride with it no problem but she literally has to deal with it coughing and sputtering for at least a full 15 minutes even on the warmest of days.

Not sure exactly what the heck other than I'm 95% sure it is carb related.

Own 15 bikes so i know my way around them but never seen one quite like this. It has to be close because it runs so well after its fully warm.

I realize new carbs aren't too expensive but I hate to go that route since this one is so close. I hate to start over troubleshooting a new carb.

Thank you in advance to the experts
    Rob
    Maple Valley WA

Did you replace the pilot jet? They can be hard to clean good enough and it's usually best to just get a new OEM part. It might just also need to have the pilot air/fuel screw turned out. Gently seat it counting how many turns in it takes to seat, then turn it out to 2 and 1/2 turns and try the bike. Keep us posted. We'll get you through this. Lots of helpful folks here.

Welcome to the forum!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I did replace the pilot. Couple more things I should mention. I bought the carb kit off Ebay. Have seen threads discussing that isn't a great idea. I can see why it isn't a great idea as the internal carb parts weren't EXACTLY identical. They were obviously close and fit but weren't identical to what was in there. Not expecting to have issues I didn't keep the original parts (dumb) so I can't say for sure exactly what was different but I remember finding it odd.

I have not played with the mix screw. That does sound like a good place to start. Haven't wanted to effect the fact that it runs great when warm but I guess if I count my current turns I have nothing to lose.

Also bike has less than 2500 miles and is one of the cleanest of this gen I have seen. I would like a newer one with a front disc but my wife insisted on the cool orange one :-)

Thank you for your quick reply. BTW...your verse was a Jeopardy answer this week....begotten Son! :-)
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It used to be that when anyone got an aftermarket kit it was nothing but trouble and frustration. The last couple years though a few members have found a couple decent kits. Hopefully they will chime in because I can't think of the name of the manufacturer right now. TW's come very lean, especially the Cali models. When you adjust it out to 2 and 1/2 or so, they start up easier and warm up much easier. It will even give you a little more pep! Try it, you'll like it. I'm sure a couple members know what the jet sizes that were in there in case you end up starting over. I think it's the pilot right now though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsamsel View Post
    I did replace the pilot. Couple more things I should mention. I bought the carb kit off Ebay. Have seen threads discussing that isn't a great idea. I can see why it isn't a great idea as the internal carb parts weren't EXACTLY identical. They were obviously close and fit but weren't identical to what was in there. Not expecting to have issues I didn't keep the original parts (dumb) so I can't say for sure exactly what was different but I remember finding it odd.

I have not played with the mix screw. That does sound like a good place to start. Haven't wanted to effect the fact that it runs great when warm but I guess if I count my current turns I have nothing to lose.

Also bike has less than 2500 miles and is one of the cleanest of this gen I have seen. I would like a newer one with a front disc but my wife insisted on the cool orange one :-)

Thank you for your quick reply. BTW...your verse was a Jeopardy answer this week....begotten Son! :-)
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Welcome, fellow Washingtonian Rob,

Most likely the internal passages in the carb body itself are still gummed up. What "kit" did you get? What parts were in it, and what did you actually replace?

I usually recommend getting OEM carb parts, as you usually don't save that much $ and you know what you are getting is what you are supposed to get. Often, aftermarket kits are reviewed as of poorer quality and may include unknown or incorrect parts and jets. I always recommend replacing the jets and most replaceable internal parts. That's me.

On the older carbs, I really recommend tearing it all the way down and using a ultrasonic cleaner if possible. It is really important that all of the passageways get fully clear. If you want to try going cheap and easy, you can try adding a half to full can of Seafoam to a fresh tank of fuel. FYI, Seafoam says you can run up to a 50/50 mix. Run it, let it sit, run it, let it sit, repeat. It might just clean it out for you.

In the meantime check out our "Technical Write-ups" sub-forum for all of the tech stuff like this gem...https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...back-life.html

Good luck man, and keep us in the loop.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Also, make sure to check on the condition of your boot from your carb to the motor. Many of these have shrank or cracked allowing extra air in, making proper tuning impossible. It is recommended to change this every ten years or so.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Mixture needs to be 2+ turns and no vacuum leaks.
    Check the mixture screw setting and use an unlit propane torch to check for vacuum leak (listen for change in idle speed)
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

As far as what kit got put in it. Im not sure....generic off Ebay. This is all the info left from the auction
    Ashampoo_Snap_2017.06.07_21h22m57s_001_.png

As for what parts got replaced....that's alot of the problem. I put the kit in this winter when I bought the bike. I replaced the parts...put it back on and it started right up and idled. Not thinking there would be a problem come riding season I threw all the old parts out and can't remember exactly what got used and what didn't get used. I did soak the carb in Berrymans cleaner when I did it and blew it out. It still idles well and seems like its going to run perfect...then as soon as you take off to ride it kicks and seems to starve for fuel. I can verify the boot is very new looking and the plug is new.

Its dark here tonight so work will start tomorrow night. I will start with a fuel screw adjustment. If that doesn't do it I will pull the carb and get some pics of the current parts. I would be fine with buying a new carb kit to know my parts are the exact parts it should have. Just need the recommendation of which kit that would be.

BTW...Johnny...i actually bought this little guy in Hayden, ID so its from your neighborhood. :-) Other than VERY notchy head bearings its been great. My wife loves it (now that I finally put new head bearings in it) but she would ride it a whole lot more if it ran better at startup. She keeps thinking its going to leave her stranded b/c its not perfect.

Thank you for your help guys. I will keep the thread updated as nothing drives me crazier than finding a thread with my exact issue only to find the original poster didn't loop back to explain what ended up fixing it.

Thanks again,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Mixture needs to be 2+ turns and no vacuum leaks.
    Check the mixture screw setting and use an unlit propane torch to check for vacuum leak (listen for change in idle speed)
    Will do both of these tomorrow night.
    littletommy likes this.

Welcome and good luck. Was just in Hayden 2 days ago. Small world!
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links