92 TW200 to 00 TW125 engineswap, possible?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By buellzebub
  • 1 Post By Purple

Thread: 92 TW200 to 00 TW125 engineswap, possible?

92 TW200 to 00 TW125 engineswap, possible?

Hello. I have a tw 99/00 yamaha tw125, that have been standing in the back of the garage for years, before i recently got it out and thought of using it as a workbike etc. Recently i saw a tw200 for sale not far from here, and was wondering if the tw200 engine is a direct swap in the tw125 frame and electronics, etc? What are the differences between the two bikes, and is the swap even possible?
    The rest of the tw200 is in bad shape, so no ral restoration project. And i only have a driverslicence for a 125cc bike.

Hi B1dik and welcome. Your last line really answers your question. If you don't have the correct licence then irrespective of whether it's a straight swap or not, if you are caught or worse, have an accident then any insurance you have will be null and void and you'll be in a whole world of sh1t! If you don't have the licence, don't do it!

Edit:
    Also, the UK police will impound your bike on the spot and won't release it until you can show you have a valid insurance certificate to cover it. I have seen this first hand, the son of a workmate put a big bore kit on his Gilera scooter and got caught, it was impounded immediately and it took him ages to get it released and had to pay a massive storage fee!
    Last edited by buellzebub; 06-11-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Typo
    Purple likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buellzebub View Post
    Hi B1dik and welcome. Your last line really answers your question. If you don't have the correct licence then irrespective of whether it's a straight swap or not, if you are caught or worse, have an accident then any insurance you have will be null and void and you'll be in a whole world of sh1t! If you don't have the licence, don't do it!

Edit:
    Also, the UK police will impound your bike on the spot and won't release it until you can show you have a valid insurance certificate to cover it. I have seen this first hand, the son of a workmate put a big bore kit on his Gilera scooter and got caught, it was impounded immediately and it took him ages to get it released and had to pay a massive stoppage fee!
    The rules in Norway on this matter are a little bit different. And a engineswap are on paper basically the same as a upgraded xhaust. So, anyone know if this swap is possible?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Physically – yes – the 200 engine is a straight drop in to the 125 frame

BUT – the electrics and carb may be problematic

If you can get hold of a TW200 engine, carb, and matching CDI for that 200 engine, then I’d say you could work your way through any problems that may crop up – some of the wiring will most likely be different, but that can be dealt with

The only exception to the above is if this turns out to be a 1987 engine – can of worms – don’t even go there

Two old threads for you to read (that don’t answer your question, but contains stuff you’re better off knowing than not knowing)

New engine - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum
    Re: Any other motors fit - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

And a contact for you – member here macbig2k1 – based in Germany, he runs a couple of sites dedicated to all thing TW, including the 125 – this kind of thing would be right up his street

Send him a pm on here – or contact through the sites - tw125.de -
    TW-Parts.com - Tuning-, Zubehör- und Ersatzteile für Yamaha TW125, 200 und 225

Good luck – and if you do try this, post your progress up on here – we are always in need of definitive information on stuff like this

Welcome to the board …….
    Last edited by Purple; 06-11-2017 at 06:09 AM.
    Mel likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Sponosred Links