Plastic Repair
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Plastic Repair

Plastic Repair

I have been trying to repair a front signal light arm with no luck, I tried Super Glue, I tried Fiber Glass, no luck, so I even tried melting the plastic with my sodering iron, It will not even stick to its self. Have any of you found anything that sticks to this kind of plastic?
    Last edited by cowboyjeff; 06-11-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Isn't the flexible arm area a kind of rubber?

I think it is for the first couple inches and then it turns to a hard material before the lenses, mine broke off right at the starting of the lenses.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I just found a replacement on eBay for $32.00 including shipping, I ordered it. I steal would like to repair the broken on if possible.

I hot glued one of mine
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Funny thing, just spent the weekend camp-n-ridin’ with a chemist and the subject of difficulty in building high molecular weight bonds in such materials came up. Simple laymen’s answer is you won’t rely get reliable penetration bonds with common adhesives but with scoring keyways and roughness on the surfaces to be joined one can at least improve a mechanical bond. By increasing the surface area for the adhesive and the scoring creates keyways for the adhesive to flow into one can create a mechanical “lock". Longer curing times for glues build longer chains with higher molecular weights and thus improve strength.
    Unfortunately after a full day’s riding and several adult beverages sitting around the campfire I cannot recall the chemist’s name for the class of adhesives with elastomizers that would work best on things like turn signal stalk. Sorry.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks Fred, I have really made a mess out of it now trying to weld with a soldering iron. Toppredator I did not think to try a Glue gun, Im going to give it a try and see what happens. Thank you very much.
    TopPredator likes this.

I just fixed a hole in a buddies kayak he wore in it while dragging it many times. I could stick 3 fingers through the hole. I used fiberglass cloth and west marine epoxy resin and hardener. Kayaks are made from I believe PEF or PEV plastics very similar to a 5 gallon bucket and not much will stick to it very well. I used a wood rasp file to rough up the surface with fairly deep gouges. I wiped the area with acetone before applying the liquid and fiberglass cloth. I did 3 layers of the cloth/resin and let it dry over night to completely hard. SO far so good and the patch it holding quite well. Only time will tell from this point.

I have a place here that welds this type of plastic but I have never seen it done or the resulting repair. What I suspect is both sides of the crack, just like in welding steel, must be heated and melted together or if using a glue it must have the ability to melt, penetrate or in some way attack both surfaces in order to make a good bond. I am a woodworker and can tell you for sure when I glue 2 pieces of wood together the glue line is often stronger than the wood itself. Never have had that result while messing with plastics and the various epoxies because there is no open pores for the glues to get in and bond to. Almost always plastic will brake again right at the repair seam.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I would glue it with these bro. Should be plug and play, incandescents, front and rears available, all four for less than $30, and they are short enough not to get crunched when the bike insists on resting alongside your route.

IMG_3152.jpgIMG_3153.jpgIMG_3154.jpg
    2007 TW200, Cycleracks, Jimbo shield, Tinman Tim racks and tool tube mount, Shinko 244 in 5.10, Protaper ATV mid handlebars, Tusk D-flex hand guards, e-bay steel pegs

I too have used the West Marine system successfully on rotomolded kayaks; pure white,available in a paste or putty.
    Another example of good product I have used on high impact nylon RC models; creamy color, unique odor as it cures, ductile, vended under a variety of names: 51cR-1vRBhL.jpg
    In addition to the roughening Gary does I also like to run a razor blade across the surfaces to be joined repeatedly at a variety of angles cutting mini-flaps for the adhesive to wrap around and grab in three dimensions.
    There are also UV activated adhesives that rely on a propogation reaction to cure but my experience and success are limited.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links