air filter debris
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TopPredator

Thread: air filter debris

air filter debris

so I went to change the air filter

found it stuck to the metal screen it sits against (too much oil last time or installed too early before the oil dried up, whatever could've caused it)

ripped the filter off and a noticeable portion of it left on the screen. started cleaning the screen with a plastic brush, and by the end of it realized that I must've pushed some of the debris past the screen, which means they will most likely go down the pipe. How much damage can it cause? Or it will all just burn off in the cylinder?

Thanks!

P.S. Tried to take the plastic part with the screen off but some of the screws retaining it in place are obscured by the frame. Gave up on it.

It is a PITA to remove the Air Box. I can't imagine it will hurt anything to have a little debris pass through the Carb. How old is your filter? A new filter oiled should not stick to your screen.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    It is a PITA to remove the Air Box. I can't imagine it will hurt anything to have a little debris pass through the Carb. How old is your filter? A new filter oiled should not stick to your screen.
    hard to tell the age of the filter. we have 2 bikes, and 4 filters. one filter is from 2001, the other 3 filters are only a few years old. It could've been the old filter, but no way to tell.

just to confirm - the air doesn't really go through the carb, right? I mean it's the fuel that passes through the jets and such, air just goes down the intake pipe, correct? So those debris aren't going to clock anything in the carb itself, they will just end up in the combustion chamber, right?

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

as far as sticking to screen, I use Notoil, and it's a very very tacky stuff. So I am not surprised it stuck to the screen, I should've given it more time to dry I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Yan View Post
    hard to tell the age of the filter. we have 2 bikes, and 4 filters. one filter is from 2001, the other 3 filters are only a few years old. It could've been the old filter, but no way to tell.

just to confirm - the air doesn't really go through the carb, right? I mean it's the fuel that passes through the jets and such, air just goes down the intake pipe, correct? So those debris aren't going to clock anything in the carb itself, they will just end up in the combustion chamber, right?

Thanks!
    Correct nothing will get in the jets. Here's pictures of a TW carb where you debris will pass through.
    Closed Throttle
    IMG_7957.JPG

Half Throttle
    IMG_7956.JPG

Wide Open Throttle
    IMG_7955.JPG
    elime likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

My screen went MIA a long time ago!

Quote Originally Posted by lbxr View Post
    My screen went MIA a long time ago!
    that would definitely solve my problem

My understanding of the screen is that it is a flame arrest (er) for backfires thru the intake....i have removed them from many bikes w/o any issues. YMMV...

Sponosred Links