T Dub left me stranded
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: T Dub left me stranded

T Dub left me stranded

I've only had my 06 tw for about 3 months. Put a few hundred miles on her and its been a blast. But the other day she started rolling out blue/white smoke, then lost power, then made a clank/rattle noise and died. My local mechanic who has been a friend for 15 years took the top end apart and found the damage in the pics. Already got a replacement cylinder, piston, and rings going in this week. The head, valves, and bottom end were all fine. Seems like a freak failure, figured you all would like to take a look. By the way, the bike only has 2k original miles on it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    admiral, Dryden-Tdub, Ken and 1 others like this.

Bummer. Did the mechanic say what failed to cause the damage?
    Ken likes this.

Wow, yeah like mountain yawp said I'd like to know what the loose piece in thar caused this mess.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Looks like the lower ring failed on the piston. My guess is lack of oil, could be any number of reasons.....

Tom
    Ken and admiral like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Could it have been the obvious WRONG OIL FILTER????????? I am so tired of hearing about the 2 hole filters destroying engines and we just can't stress this issue enough. Any dealer at this point that installs the wrong filter and destroys another engine is just an idiot. Yamaha themselves must accept some of the blame for this as well. Every shop should have clear pictures posted in the parts and service areas showing the side by side 2 and 4 hole filters.

GaryL
    Ken, admiral, jtstdub and 2 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Could it have been the obvious WRONG OIL FILTER????????? I am so tired of hearing about the 2 hole filters destroying engines and we just can't stress this issue enough. Any dealer at this point that installs the wrong filter and destroys another engine is just an idiot. Yamaha themselves must accept some of the blame for this as well. Every shop should have clear pictures posted in the parts and service areas showing the side by side 2 and 4 hole filters.

GaryL
    I was thinking the same thing. Just could not bring myself to put in print YET AGAIN!

Tom
    Ken and jtstdub like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I thought it was some kind of "engine nugget" which came from below the way the gouge marks are. Very well could be from oil starvation and then something broke loose. My thought was the nugget chewed up the lower ring as I would've expected more catastrophic destruction of the ring should it have been the culprit. Whatever the cause it put a huge crosswise gouge in the piston. Hope TwFox06's mechanic was able to tell what happened while he tore it apart.

When my 2005 with the 1993 engine self-destructed from oil starvation (missing oil galley bolt not the filter) my damage was more up and down scratches from the piston. I didn't have a nugget issue either.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Not the filter. Holes in the filter lubricate the upper head and camshaft. Cylinder / piston and rings and wrist pin are lubricated by splash off the crank.

Hard to tell but is that a casting failure in the cylinder?

Also odd how there is a groove right where the top ring split is and it goes all the way through the second ring into the oil ring. Major damage to oil ring is to the right of the groove.

Now is the time to upgrade to at least a 68mm Wiseco high compression piston. Maybe even consider a 70mm piston.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

If I had to guess and that is all this is, I would think an E clip holding the wrist pin in place came lose or broke.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Bummer. Thanks for sharing. Good to hear you have a mechanic you know and trust. Let us know if he figures out the cause. Was it pretty fast from smoke to death?
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links