TTR 225 Head
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By RTG

Thread: TTR 225 Head

TTR 225 Head

Hey Everyone,

I found a TW for sale locally that has a TTR 225 head swap. The entire head, valves, cam, etc. Piston and Jug are Stock. Does anyone know off hand if this is something I should avoid? I know many of the parts are interchangeable between the two, but not sure if there is difference between the TTR 225 Head and the TW200 Head.

Trying to feel it out before the purchase of the bike and what I could potentially be getting into.

Thanks in advance for any info!!!

- Todd
    "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a motorcycle"

TTR 225 and TW200 heads are mechanically and functionally interchangeable. I would ask why the head was swapped. If the explanation seems reasonable and does not raise any additional concerns, then I would not be overly worried about purchasing this bike.

Thanks for the info Brian! He said the stock TW dropped a valve so he replaced the entire head with a TTR one, he mentioned no other damage to the piston... So it seems safe as far as I can tell. I wasn't firm if there is any significant differences between the two heads, something that might cause a real problem at some point. :-)
    littletommy likes this.
    "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a motorcycle"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks AG. I agree, great idea to look at the old head. It could tell a whole story!

I'd question this, "he mentioned no other damage to the piston". Unless the valve was dropped, out of hand, onto the piston, as it was sitting on a work bench. And even then steel > aluminum.

But if he has pictures and it seems legit, then it could be negotiating leverage.

Thanks SoCal, I agree, there must be some kind of damage to the piston, just don't know how much. The thing is, you don't really know until you own it and take it apart to see for yourself! I thought about it for a night and gave what I felt was a fair offer but he declined. So I guess it wasn't meant to be! I wanted to buy it, fix it up and get it running, ride it for a few weeks then sell it. It's been sitting for several years and needed a bunch of other stuff.

I remember when I lived in So Cal, my wife and I would head upto Gorman, that place is so much fun!

Sponosred Links