Clutch Slip when brutally accelerate
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Clutch Slip when brutally accelerate

Clutch Slip when brutally accelerate

Dear Guys,

I noticed recently (after correctly set up my throttle since it could not reach the full "speed") that if I suddenly accelerate in 2nd-3rd gear by slow speed and turning the throttle to the max sometimes the clutch can slip
    I already checked the clutch lever making sure it has the right free play, the clutch is already a new one (changed 1 month ago but I never realized the slipping because the throttle was blocked a bit by a rubber ring as explained before)
    So after checking everything yesterday and setting everything correctly I started to notice that if I brutal accelerate it can sometimes slip

I've read online that it could be the oil, which oil do You recommend to put in a Yamaha TW 200 to avoid this kind of problem?
    The oilw as changed by the shop that sold me the bike (it's an used one of course) but I am starting to think that he doesn't know very well out beloved TWs

Any suggestion? I live in Italy so I need to find an oil that is available here

Also I've seen a video online where its suggested to avoid synthetic oils because they could land to slippery clutch, insted You should use "natural" oils

Any advice please?

You want a motorcycle oil that is approved for "wet clutches". I am sure you can find some over there.
    Ken, socalnative and elime like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Ken
    First I would double check the adjustment. The clutch adjustment could be a little off where it is not making total contact. The clutch springs could be worn. In the past when I had a slight clutch slippage issue I used (Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer), about 2 or 3 ounces. It is for cars but never hurt my bike. It kind of swells the clutches up a bit. You may have to readjust your clutches afterwards if they grab too good. I changed my original clutch plates and springs out after my valve job at 42000 miles. I now have Barnett clutches.
    centralwarider and elime like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you can't get it adjusted from the cable, you will need to pull off the right side cover and start in there, adjust it correctly, then do the cable, and then any final little adjustments at the lever.
    Ken and elime like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    If you can't get it adjusted from the cable, you will need to pull off the right side cover and start in there, adjust it correctly, then do the cable, and then any final little adjustments at the lever.
    The cable and lever is already done properly with the right free play etc, it's just when I am going very slow in 2nd-3rd and i burst accelerate directrly to full throttle that it slips
    Ken likes this.

It's all for nothing unless it is correct inside. Take a look at the clutch lever going down into the crankcase and look for a arrow on the lever. Does it line up with a raised line on the case? Both arrow and line on the case are behind the lever. Look closely. If they are off, you have to go inside and start over. Do make sure you have motorcycle wet clutch oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by jannaruto View Post
    The cable and lever is already done properly with the right free play etc, it's just when I am going very slow in 2nd-3rd and i burst accelerate directrly to full throttle that it slips
    Ken and elime like this.

You must have something set up wrong. T dubs don't do anything brutally. Especially accelerate.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    You must have something set up wrong. T dubs don't do anything brutally. Especially accelerate.
    I didn't said that the bike accelerate brutally, I said that I accelerate brutally twisting all the throttle at once when in 2nd-3rd and in kinda low speed (it's surprisingly fast at catching speed actually)

Use motorcycle oil. Car oil will make the clutch slip. I ruined two clutches on two different motorcycles using car oil because it was said to be OK to use a certain brand, Shell Rotella oil in motorcycles. It isn't!

You can install washers on the spring to increase the pressure or install heavy duty springs. Heavy duty springs on the left.
    PA260151.JPG

Internal clutch adjustment is done with the screw in the center of the pressure plate. If pulling on the clutch lever gets hard as the pointer aligns with the mark it is OK. If it is close that is OK too, this isn't a real fine adjustment. Red arrow points to adjusting screw.

P9260023 (2).JPGP8090023a.jpgclutcha.jpg

Best bet is Barnett Kevlar clutch kit that comes with heavy duty springs. I installed two of them in two different motorcycles and they work great!!!! They cost twice as much as "regular" clutches but are worth it.
    clutch parts.jpg
    Last edited by elime; 06-15-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

littletommy likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links