Seized motor
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Seized motor

Seized motor

I did a rings and valve grind on my 89 TW. I honed the cylinder, assembled everything carefully with anti-seize compound or coated with oil, torqued to specs, put it in and filled with oil, bled the air out till it was pumping oil out, and as far as I know, all to the book. I started it and let it idle a bit on the stand, then took it for a gentle ride around the country block at about 40 miles an hour. I never made it home. At 12 miles it clattered and quit. I pulled the cylinder, and the piston is fried, as if it had no oil, but the oil is up. The little holes that let oil through from the inside of the piston to the cylinder wall were open, the oil filter seemed fine, and had collected some filings. I just can't wrap my head around it. TW brain pool, what do you think?
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

rbm
    Does your oil filter have the 4 holes?

Yes. It was in before. That was the first place I went, for all the bad stories I've heard over the years.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Did you have any side covers off during the work? Is the oil still registering as full?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Side covers off and new gaskets, new oil and still up with no leaks.
    littletommy, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Side covers off and new gaskets, new oil and still up with no leaks.
    The reason I asked, and most members know this already, you lose some oil when you pull the cover off, then when the work is all done and everything is buttoned up again, folks tend to check and top off the oil and then start the bike and go for a ride. They fail to remember that the oil has to recirculate through the passages, tailshaft, etc to fill up again that which was lost. You can be several ounces low when you get back from your ride not knowing that the engine should have been started briefly, allowing the oil to reach those areas, and then re-checked before an actual ride. A 40 mile ride might not be good with only a half a quart in a bike that only holds 1.3 quarts in the first place...
    Ken, jtomelliott49 and oatmealx like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Is the connecting rod fried too?

Oil is filtered going from the outside of the filter to the center. Once inside it goes two way -- out the 4 little holes to the top of the head and camshaft and out other way to the center of the crankshaft to the lower rod bearing. The upper rod bearing, piston, rings, etc. are all lubricated by splash which is oil being flung around everywhere. So check the oil passage way out the side opposite the 4 little holes -- out of the filter into the block. A blockage going to the crankshaft can cause the problem you say you have.

oiol flow 2.jpg
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Mel
    This sounds more like a piston fitting too tight in the cylinder. All air cooled engines require more clearance between piston and cylinder. This is the exact symptom of that, not loss of lubricant.
    Mel
    littletommy, Ken, Peterb and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    I did a rings and valve grind on my 89 TW. I honed the cylinder, assembled everything carefully with anti-seize compound or coated with oil, torqued to specs, put it in and filled with oil, bled the air out till it was pumping oil out, and as far as I know, all to the book. I started it and let it idle a bit on the stand, then took it for a gentle ride around the country block at about 40 miles an hour. I never made it home. At 12 miles it clattered and quit. I pulled the cylinder, and the piston is fried, as if it had no oil, but the oil is up. The little holes that let oil through from the inside of the piston to the cylinder wall were open, the oil filter seemed fine, and had collected some filings. I just can't wrap my head around it. TW brain pool, what do you think?
    Why did you take the engine apart to put in new rings and grind the valves?
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    This sounds more like a piston fitting too tight in the cylinder. All air cooled engines require more clearance between piston and cylinder. This is the exact symptom of that, not loss of lubricant.
    Mel
    If the little end of the con rod is OK I will agree with you. If it is fried I am betting on lack of oil.

Clearance for piston ranges from .001 min to .004 max according to the shop manual. Think they got it less than .001"?

Piston.jpg

Or maybe they used a Wiseco forged piston and the clearance should be at least .002" minimum.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links