TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

highbeam problem

652 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  SportsterDoc 
#1 ·
This is on my 2013 Bonneville, not my TW, but can you help me out please.

I did Lake Superior on my Bonneville over the weekend. I had nine hours left to make a 5 hour ride for Iron Butt. Should have been an easy qualifier. At nine o'clock I hit the Michigan line and it gets dark then comes pitch black and pouring rain. If I touch my passing light or high beam the fuse blows and then bike will not start. I ended up in a hotel and rode home the next morning. Now the passing light does not work at all, but the city light will stay on. If you touch high beam the fuse blows and bike will not start. What is this?????

#5 · (Edited)
+1
If fuse does not blow, with bulb out, that eliminates hi/lo switch, hi beam wiring and H4 connector.
A loose connection in the connector can lead to high resistance and hi load.
If the connector needs replacing and one not readily available, you can use 1/4" spade crimp-on connectors, preferably insulated (see attached photo)
Light Sky Lighting Night Floor

If replacement of connector is necessary, note which wire color goes to which connection.
Or, see this link, which does NOT depict Yamaha wiring
http://www.mypage.tsn.cc/roddqld/socket_wiring_diagram.jpg

The two parallel sockets are lo and ground.
If you reverse (left & right) position, hi will not work.

Reactions: Tweaker
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.