Transmission is Whining
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Transmission is Whining

Transmission is Whining

When I shift into 5th gear my transmission makes a whining sound when I'm giving it some "throttle". Anyone have a similar experience or an idea what could be causing this?

I've been riding it for several months, heck, even maybe since last summer but didn't really pay attention to it until this year. Thought I'd ask ya'll before, gulp, taking it to the dealer. It's under an extended warranty and I don't want to be messing with any more than I already have. I did add the kick starter a year or so ago but I wouldn't think it's the kick starter gears or I'd hear this noise in other gears wouldn't I?
    Ken likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

My bike whines when I've had too many donuts and it wants me to get off...

***hope its nothing major Kris***
    Last edited by littletommy; 06-29-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    Fred, admiral, TW-Brian and 5 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Check the oil and make sure its not the tires whining as you go faster.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Record us some whining on a diagnostic video so we can listen and give bad advice? Just the bike, not you complaining when Lori asks you to take out the trash.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Check the oil and make sure its not the tires whining as you go faster.
    Have changed both tires at different times and it makes this sound. Only happens when I shift to 5th.
    Ken likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Record us some whining on a diagnostic video so we can listen and give bad advice? Just the bike, not you complaining when Lori asks you to take out the trash.
    I can pick it out of some of my past video's but it would be too hard for ya'll to hear it. Near future, I'll position the camera down near the engine so it's a little easier to here. Hopefully wind and normal engine sounds to mask the whine.
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Which of these does it sound like?

Purple, Ken, mhomadness and 5 others like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Seriously though - it's gonna be a bearing - but it may not be coming from the gearbox

Ride it around some more until it blows up, then you should be able to tell where it was coming from .....

(Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Seriously though - it's gonna be a bearing - but it may not be coming from the gearbox
    I think so too.
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post

Ride it around some more until it blows up, then you should be able to tell where it was coming from .....

Was thinking along those lines but it is 5th gear related or at least showing itself in that gear only. Hard to be without it when I take it to the dealership for the warranty work. I'd better get busy at rebuilding #1 TW which has been out of commission for a year or so. ...and is missing some parts like a taillight for instance. Oops, Moab damage.
    Dryden-Tdub, Ken and Mattwings like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links