Starter Problems
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Starter Problems

Starter Problems

Hi All,

My TW has been making a clicking noise when I try and Electric start it. The battery is fully charged, the starter solenoid is new, my starter is about 6 months old. When i put a scew driver to the starter solenoid to see if it would start that way nothing happened. Does this mean I need a new starter again? I tried to jump start it and the starter was making a clunking noise.... Thanks!!
    littletommy likes this.

Welcome to the forum!!

First thing I would do is load test the battery, any auto parts place can test it for you for free.

Quote Originally Posted by ravencook87 View Post
    Hi All,

My TW has been making a clicking noise when I try and Electric start it. The battery is fully charged, the starter solenoid is new, my starter is about 6 months old. When i put a scew driver to the starter solenoid to see if it would start that way nothing happened. Does this mean I need a new starter again? I tried to jump start it and the starter was making a clunking noise.... Thanks!!
    Ken likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks Littletommy! I will try that this afternoon.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you have a volt meter, you can check the reading at the battery terminals as you hit the starter button beforehand. If it drops significantly it probably is the battery.
    Thanks Littletommy! I will try that this afternoon.
    Ken and Fred like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Turns out I had a bad battery, so I installed a new one just now and its still making the clicking noise.

No matter what they say, (it's charged up and ready to go) you must charge it fully before using the first time. Try doing that.
    Turns out I had a bad battery, so I installed a new one just now and its still making the clicking noise.
    Ken likes this.

Thanks again for your help. So I made sure the battery was fully charged and its still clicking! I even hooked up my other Motorcycles battery thats bigger and its clicking. I will say that I went on a really dirty dusty road right before this happened, I shut it off and when I went to turn it back on it was clicking. Could dirt be messing up my connections?
    littletommy likes this.

Yes, a dirty or loose connection somewhere could cause this.
    Ken likes this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Does the engine turn over by other methods...kick starter or ratchet on the crank?

I would remove, sand up, and retighten cable connections at battery and ground and starter, etc.

Good luck!
    littletommy likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

The engine tried to turn over when I push started it but a horrible clunking noise was coming from the starter....... so.... today I replaced the starter, and no more clicking!! When I hit the starter switch it wants to turn over but nothing happens... the starter is just running and running, any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links