Various problems with TW "acceleration"
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Various problems with TW "acceleration"

Various problems with TW "acceleration"

Dear Guys,

I am having in the recent two days some problems with my 1993 TW
    Basically when I am in third with a steady throttle (I even use a lock mecanism to make sure my wrist is not into play) the TW start to do a bit of back and forth like if I am super slighty pulling and releasing the throttle, it's suddle but it's there and no other gears do that, but I am constantly accelerating and not mantaining a steady speed the "problem goes away"

Also I am noticing in 5th gear that when I am at kinda low speed (I use a 45tooth sprokect) and when I am around 50-60 if I turn the throttle to the minimum possible to trigger the trottle the bike will start to slow down as I am out of fuel (impossible because I made a refule just 30 minutes ago)
    this happen basically everytime

Also sometime looks like the bike has some "spikes" when I accelerate or have a constant speed, like I am giving a bit too much throttle but actually I am not

the bike has 50.000 km and I changed the oil 1 month ago, together with oil filter only in the last two days is doing this problem

what could be the culprit?
    Cornelis likes this.

TWs do not have acceleration problems. They have no acceleration to have problems with. A 45 tooth sprocket makes it more so.
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    TWs do not have acceleration problems. They have no acceleration to have problems with. A 45 tooth sprocket makes it more so.
    hey brother come on I am serious XD I love my TW, help a fellow TW owner

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes brother, I had precisely the same problem and after searching for months to find the problem I traced it to a faulty cdi unit, if you have one of the newer bikes it will cost you around US$100 but if you have one of the older models like me it will unfortunately cost you around US$260 for a new one.

It is because of the fact that it is an electronic device that it is so expensive, but I promise you it is worth the money, you will not regret it

Edit: I see you have a 1993 model, so its going to be the more expensive one that you're going to have to buy
    Last edited by Cornelis; 07-03-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    jtstdub and LuvNot like this.
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

Possibly the carb needs to be cleaned. First try opening the idle mixture screw 1/4 turn. If no good try another 1/4 turn. Maybe even a 3rd or 4th time. If no good it is back to cleaning.

Try the cheap / free things first.
    Last edited by elime; 07-03-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Cornelis and jtstdub like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Yes, I agree with elime, clean the carb thoroughly first and if the problem is still there then you move on to the other things.
    elime and cowboyjeff like this.
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

try the cheapest and easiest thing first. a good dose of seafoam
    elime, cowboyjeff and Bobo413 like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelis View Post
    Yes brother, I had precisely the same problem and after searching for months to find the problem I traced it to a faulty cdi unit, if you have one of the newer bikes it will cost you around US$100 but if you have one of the older models like me it will unfortunately cost you around US$260 for a new one.

It is because of the fact that it is an electronic device that it is so expensive, but I promise you it is worth the money, you will not regret it

Edit: I see you have a 1993 model, so its going to be the more expensive one that you're going to have to buy
    can You show me a photo of this CDI? I am italoan so IDK what that mean

The cdi is the black box on the right hand side of the motorbike, the purpose of the cdi is to send the spark to the spark plug at the right moment, but first clean the carburettor properly and then see if the fuel tank is clean and fuel flow is good and then if you still have the same problem you have to maybe replace cdi

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelis View Post

What is the difference between old and new ones? Do they have different connection method or similar?
    How should looke like the one I have to buy for the 1993 one?
    Cornelis likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links