Tranny trouble...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Tranny trouble...

Tranny trouble...

I had a mishap today... I'll try to be as concise as possible... shifting is clunky and a weird noise after a sudden downshift at speed...

It's a 2014 tdub purchased used but it amazing condtion with 1560km back in may... currently 2300km as I've been trying to get on it everyday to learn riding and I'm new to motorcycles ... last owner said he gave it 3 oil changes and the last just before he parked it last winter... he says he used synthetic...

Overall it's been running great as far as I know... when it was safetied the shop told me the chain needed adjusting so they did... after I started reading about chain maintenance I decided to lube it us cause it seemed "gummy" and that was 2 weeks ago... at this time I looked at the chain slack and it seemed in spec but I didn't measure...

Anyways, I was accelerating out of a curve and my boot slipped and I down shifted hard with the throttle on and the engine revved real high... when I stopped a couple minutes later I noticed a ticking sound even in neutral that only went away as I let out the clutch but started again when fully in gear... shifting seemed super clunky now... but it behaved normal when cruising...

I parked it and measured the chain slack cause it looked super loose... it was 2" which I think is way out of spec... is it supposed to rub on the pad thing on top of the swingarm?

What could cause such a sudden chain slackening? I stayed up till 2am last night trying to read up on possible causes and I stressing out... everything from just loose chain to complete tranny destruction...

I'm not adverse to looking into this problem and getting dirty but i have no experience opening up engines etc... but I don't want this to grenade when I'm cruising so ignoring it isn't an option...

I took it for a spin last night... I can't notice the sound anymore but the shifting seems a little more clunky than usual... I'm gonna do an oil.change with mobil 1 soon to see if there's any chunks that come out...

I didnt think this engine was so frail... i dont thjnk i was that tuff on it... Any thoughts?

Thanks
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

2 weeks of riding with a stock chain will show a large amount of stretch (wear?). My 2015 had low miles and was little-old-man-driven when I bought it and the snails were already out almost all the way. I adjusted it after a ride....then again after the next ride, then again after the next ride....then hung it on the shed wall and put an o-ring chain on it.
    If you are comparing the chain tension now to a couple weeks ago (with a fair amount of riding), the slack likely isn't related to the unplanned downshift.

Could going from accelerating to engine braking like that put enough stress on a chain to 'stretch' it? I don't know....but anything else that could be involved rotates, so it couldn't be 'bent' or deformed in only one direction.

A loose chain will cause crappy shifting (according to several people)....but I'm still new and have no real experience with it. Aside from the noise, maybe your shifting is a combination of the loose chain and the fact that you're really tuned into the gearbox now.

As for the adjustment, there is info out there...or check youtube for a video by Tdubskid. His humour is a little goofy, but he does really good instructional videos on lots of aspects of TW maintenance, and they're clear, good angles, well-explained. (As opposed to trying to learn how to do something from a video shot in a dark garage and everything important is just out of frame.)

It's better to be a little loose than a little tight. And yes, the pad is there for the chain to rub on. It wouldn't touch it under constant power because the top would be tight...but in any conditions that you can be looking at the chain, it will be laying on the pad.

The ticking....that doesn't sound good....but for the price of 1L of oil, I'd drop the oil right away and check it and the filter and screens for growlies.
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 07-04-2017 at 09:03 AM.

A loose chain will give you clunky and “snatchy” gear changes, but it’s still better loose than tight. A tight chain will snap, and could leave you with some interesting scar patterns on your left calf muscle.

Yes, that bit of plastic on top of the swinging arm is there for a reason, expect it to come into contact with the chain. And yes, now you’re listening for it, you’ll find all sorts of noises coming from your engine. Some people recommend earplugs for just this reason.

GCFishguy pretty much nailed it, and Phelonius will be along shortly to tell you that your bike is broken, and offer you 50 bucks for it.

These bikes are tough little bunnies, and short of a complete engine disassembly and getting anal with a micrometre, your only other fear is fear itself. Get back out there and ride it like you stole it, and be grateful you’re not in the position that Admiral is in, (sitting on a time bomb that is going to explode under him any minute now).

He doesn’t carry hammers around for nothing ……..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice... I didn't think the chain could go out of whack so easily... anything else on this bike that's shit that I should replace before I go any farther?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

"Tranny Trouble" lol I saw that title and thought this was gonna be one of those when is a girl not a girl stories

btw if your "Tranny" is not "Clunky" you're not riding a TW !!!
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 07-04-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Yeah – the title brought a few things to mind …..

Swap the chain for an “X” ring or “O” ring chain, far less faffing about (I’ve yet to even tighten mine) – and if you’ve still got the stock front tire – lose it, before it loses you.

The rest is optional ……
    jtomelliott49 and admiral like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

It's only shit in the way that automakers sell new cars with the most......'cost effective' tires on them that they are allowed to by law.
    It does the job, but ehhh...you could spend a little more and do a whole lot better.
    Reading these (and other) forums, it's starting to occur to me that Yamaha likely knew that 99% of TWs would only get 600 miles put on them in 20 years, so for all those people, the chains last 'forever'.
    "45,000 miles and I never had to adjust my chain! But it was strapped to the back of a motor home for all but 13 of those miles...."
    That's kind of a joke....but kind of not. You hear/read all the time about people buying 20 year old bikes with well under 1000 miles on them. Maybe Yamaha knew....

Heck, I've put 2500km on mine since October...and it sat all winter in the shed. Canada, ehh?

Without hearing it, nobody can tell you if you have something wrong or not...but dump the oil, do something with the chain, and ride it and see how it turns out. I say dump the oil....the filter's reuseable and it takes 1L to change it. I buy Lucas Synthetic 10w40 Motorcycle Oil at the parts store for $8.47 a bottle. That's like two bags of potato chips...half a pack of Canadian smokes...4 medium double-doubles... It doesn't hurt my feelings at all to drop 8 bucks on clean, fresh oil..even if it's not REALLY needed yet.

Most people (including me now) say that if you have a Death Wing on the front, you should replace it with something else. Most would suggest cutting the old one into little bits and pieces so it can never endanger anyone again. (Purple beat me to that one) ....but if you'll be anywhere the least bit slick, muddy, or slippery....lose the death wing. I went with a 241, changed the bike completely. There are others that will give you just as much of a change, that was just the one I happened to go with.
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 07-04-2017 at 11:20 AM.

I think I'm gonna change the oil today... is it recommended that the oil filter be replaced too?

As far as the chain goes it's at 2" which apparently is in spec to the service manual but not the bike bike manual and that's confusing... I will probably change out the chain at the end of the season when I decide what sprockets I want to change to... realistically I won't be doing much off road so I will probably be gear it a little better for the road... first gear is freaking useless on the road!

Which leads me to the tire situation... I know the death wing is bad but again I'm staying mostly on the road so I'm not sure which way I will go with that... is the 241 or the 244 better on the road?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanx View Post
    I think I'm gonna change the oil today... is it recommended that the oil filter be replaced too?

As far as the chain goes it's at 2" which apparently is in spec to the service manual but not the bike bike manual and that's confusing... I will probably change out the chain at the end of the season when I decide what sprockets I want to change to... realistically I won't be doing much off road so I will probably be gear it a little better for the road... first gear is freaking useless on the road!

Which leads me to the tire situation... I know the death wing is bad but again I'm staying mostly on the road so I'm not sure which way I will go with that... is the 241 or the 244 better on the road?

I doubt there will be much argument between the 244 and 241 as they apply to road manners. Between the two it would be the 241. However if you are sticking mostly to the road get road bias tires like the Bridgestone TW203 and TW204.

Tom
    admiral likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanx View Post

The oil filter is a metal mesh screen and unless you damage it during removal or installation it can be cleaned probably forever. Do be careful though as the rubber seal on the end of the filter sometimes sticks inside the filter area and not on the filter. I reached in with a needle nose pliers and put it back on the filter. No problems with that since on subsequent oil changes.

Both 241 and 244 will be fine handling wise on pavement but my 241 is much quieter than the 244 was. The 244 had quite a high pitch whine. Not sure if it whined loudly at first but it sure did as the tire wore
    jtstdub likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links